Indian River

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Tanker_82, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Tanker_82

Tanker_82 Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I honestly don’t know. I’ve always been a driver at this company, so I’ve never sat in front of a dispatch computer at IRT to see what they have available, etc. I can accurately state they definitely have enough coast-to-coast loads to keep me running nonstop as a solo driver. Anytime I’m at a customer or tank wash and visit with one of my fellow drivers, the subject of weekly miles is typically brought up in conversation. When I share that I average 3,000 miles per week, their response is always a head nod and a “Me too” or a “Same here.” No one ever complains about being left sitting or not getting enough miles. Team trucks are something I’m not very knowledgeable about. I’ve never ran as a team, and I rarely see them here. I know we have several of them, it’s just that I don’t run into them personally. I do my own thing and avoid the company gossip circles. If I’m around a terminal or in the lounge it’s because I’m getting a PM or have a specific purpose for being there. Once I’m finished, I leave and hangout elsewhere if I’m in between loads.

The few teams I have spoke to were short run ins, as in they were cranking their landing gear down in Spokane at the same time I was, so we shook hands and had small talk for a few minutes. They had only worked here a handful of months and already had 78,000 miles on a brand new truck according to one I visited with. He told me he lived in Brownsville, TX and made more money with IRT than he did as an owner operator.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The product pump is actually on the tank. There is a PTO and a hydraulic pump on the tractor that powers the product pump on the tank. It's easy to spot the tractors that have the PTO/pump as they have hydraulic hoses hanging over the catwalk. They are just called "pump tractors" here, I don't know the proper industry name for them. Either way, yes you will still be dropping and hooking them. I have never heard of a tank being assigned to a tractor.

Personally, it's rare that I will be hooked to the same tank for more than one load. Even when I am loading for a back haul, it's usually a drop dirty at the tank wash and grab a clean one to get it loaded process. That's how it is where I run in the NE, I can't speak too much about what happens when doing true OTR.

I reset every week, can't recall the last time I ran recap. A busy week means I reset with only minutes left on my 70, a not so busy week will have 10ish hrs left. I prefer to reset as Canadian HOS requires a 24hr offduty period with the cycle I run. Canadian HOS also means you can drive 13hrs a day so that eats up the 70 pretty quickly. I have burned through a 70 in as little as 5 days, with only the bare minimum onduty time for pretrips etc.

4. Tanker_82

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Tank swapping is the same way on the OTR side. We switch trailers on almost every load, too.

Redtwin and RussianBearTruckeR Thank this.
  5. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Do you have to speak French to do the Quebec loads?

Redtwin Thanks this.
  6. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    No, but it would certainly help as there are a couple customers that don't speak any English. I find that lots of nodding and hand waving gets the job done.

The road signs in French are pretty easy to figure out...especially the ones that include pictures.:D

7. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Do they have prepass and if so, how often would you say you get bypassed by the scales and does it cover tolls?

Tanker_82 Thanks this.
  8. Tanker_82

Jun 16, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes. I get a green light 75-80% of the time. It also covers tolls.

JForce28 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. ¿MadHatter¿

¿MadHatter¿ Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2014
    So I finished the hiring process, finished orientation and under my second load.deadheaded almost 900 miles instead of sitting and waiting. Feel grateful. Learned OJ's on Kearny and went to the port which is awesome.

I'd like to write a post about the pipeline from recruiting thru my first load, but there is one thing id like to understand before I do. Tanker/twin can I PM you both?

10. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Sure, feel free to PM any time with any questions you may have.

Were you in Winter Haven on Wednesday?. I saw someone on what looked like a road test.

Tanker_82 Thanks this.
  11. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Unlike other companies I am aware of, these guys aren't afraid of deadheading drivers wherever they need them.

My first trip out of Winter Haven when I first got hired was a deadhead up to Indianapolis. They didn't have anything loading in FL I could run, so I was told to grab an empty and head for Indy. No load plan, no appointment, just "head up that way and we will find you a load when you get there".

I stood there in disbelief for a few seconds waiting for the laughter from the prank they were playing on the new guy.

It wasn't a prank.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.