Info on Car Hauling

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by heatherh, Apr 3, 2017.

1. heatherh

heatherh Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Hi. Im in the beginning stages of gathering info on getting my own truck. Im interesting in Car Hauling but don't know much about it. Id like to know if its always OTR and what kind of money can be made. Any info will be appreciated. Thank u very much and God bless

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OneBaker

OneBaker Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Montgomery City, MO
    Are you looking at a pickup with like a 3 car wedge, or a 9-10 car hauler/semi combo?

4. heatherh

heatherh Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2012
    9-10 car hauler/semi combo

5. OneBaker

OneBaker Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Montgomery City, MO
    Ok...I think the natural process would be to get hired on as a company driver...learn the good, bad and ugly...how to load etc. the cost of equipment and maintence can be cost prohibitive. What type of trucking are you doing now?

CTNinja Thanks this.
  6. OneBaker

OneBaker Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Montgomery City, MO
    I left an oil company that I was with for 12 years to go haul for Jack Cooper. Learned a lot and loved it. Made good money, was home on the weekends. Just came back to previous oil company because of uncertainties with Jack Cooper financial footing. I still toss around the idea of doing hot-shots with a 3 car wedge with my own truck. You can make great money with the right situation at a fraction of the start up costs.

crb Thanks this.
  7. Ziggy319

Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    A driver for a established company can easily make over $100,000.00 a year. Wether it be local regional or otr. Everyone things getting their own truck is the way to go. Good luck with that with no experience. The truck itself is about $300,000.00 new. Insurance for a start up will be $20,000.00 or more. The list goes on. Scroll through the other 900 posts about the same topic and you will learn a ton. Than re read them again. There is a ton of great info.

crb, Terry270, brian991219 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. heatherh

heatherh Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I drive a mixer (concrete truck). If your a car hauler do u have to go OTR? If u do then im out bcuz i have a family I have to take care of. U can make good money with the little 3 car hauler trailers?

9. heatherh

heatherh Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2012

10. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Depends on area, company, and freight mix. But no you do not HAVE to.

11. heatherh

heatherh Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Ill check out companies first lol. Thank u

Terry270 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.