Information on prime?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by FireFighter_02, Mar 23, 2016.

1. FireFighter_02

FireFighter_02 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    Hello,
    I am looking for a good company to start with, however not much has been said about prime, I live in north Florida and have no experience, I do have my cdl already but I would need a refresher. What can you tell me about prime? Leave negative comments to yourself...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Not to be negative but there is a ton of information here on prime. 74 pages worth. And that is just here, in the Prime form.

Some of the posts may be a bit dated but much of it is good.

4. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    Thanks man. I didn't know how dated it was or if there was any new info that could be added, a lot of the threads are about their training program but I already have a cdl so im curious how it would work for me

5. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    To the best of my knowledge they have, or did have, a refresher course. It would all depend on how long it's been since you've driven.

Check their website as well, and give them a call and ask. Then come back and see if you can confirm what they told you.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  6. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I don't think Prime hires out of Florida

7. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    They do, I have a friend that lives about 45 mins away from me that works for them.

8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Good to here. You research Henderson at all?

9. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    It would be easier to just use this site to search for jobs that hire students in your area, and spend the afternoon calling every company on that list. Narrow it down to the top 5 that fit what you want, then report back and ask for advice on those. There are too many companies out there, and their recruiting areas change over time. I would focus on training flatbed or tanker though-Either counts towards van experience if you decide to swap later. I've never ran a flatbed, and want to learn but not to keen on riding with a trainer again lol.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  10. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Hello firefighter, I'm with prime its been a while since I went though training so I can't answer questions about a refresher course. However if you have any specific questions that you want to ask let me know. I'll do my best to answer.

FireFighter_02 and Chucktshoes Thank this.
  11. SickRick

SickRick Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Prime does hire out of central/north Florida. Typically, most companies use the "north of I-4" line as their hiring zone. So Starke Florida should be OK. Though I know people from Bradenton and Tampa/St. Pete area that are driving for them now.

Having a CDL already, but no experience, will end up having you go through both PSD & TNT phases (with the "training obligation" similar to drivers that come in with no cdl), minus actually having to get the permit and do the road test for real - though I'm told you will still have to do the skills test, just that it's not "make or break" for upgrading from permit to full CDL.

It's still a good deal for a "starter company". Even with a "refresher" before going to Prime - you'll still have to do the TNT phase, so you might as well just save the $$ you would have spent on the refresher course - and sign up as an "already licensed student" with Prime.

Some companies that do training (Jim Palmer for example) told me I would have to "downgrade" my 7 year old CDL-A, and come up there, get a permit, train & test for a CDL, and then transfer it back to Florida. Waste of time & $$ IMHO.

Rick

darthanubis, Chucktshoes and 123456 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.