Injector codes Cat DD Cummins Volvo..

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by V8Lenny, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Dieseldoc

Dieseldoc Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2008
    charlotte, NC
    I'll throw my 2 cents in, The injector codes are to make up for small differences in machining and assembly of the injector so all injectors will flow the same amount when installed in an engine, the ecm uses this code as a calibration adjustment so it knows how to control the fuel solenoid in the injector thus allowing all cylinders to provide equal HP which keeps the engine balance when firing controlling tensional vibrations.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coalhauler625

coalhauler625 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2009
    somewhere in VA,KY or WV
    my 6nz 550 has had 5232 codes in it forever made big difference in power about a gear better idles fine

4. g123post4

g123post4 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2009
    WILSON, WI
    What is a proper code for a 3406E its a 6TS

5. Far_Call

Far_Call Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Australia
    The proper code is the trim code on the injector itself and it will be different on each injector and each injector must be trimmed using ET so it matches.

Let me explain as there seems to be so much confusion out there over trim codes; :biggrin_2551:
    1)Injectors are mass produced and they vary slightly in their output and each requires trimming.
    2)No two are the same and as such you cannot put the same code in all 6 such as 1100, 4242, 5232
    3)As some injectors produce more than others some need to be trimmed UP and some Trimmed Down.
    4)If you set them all the same you will have varying amounts of CC per cylinder

Now what does all this mean?
    1)If you change them to a number that is the same you will have anything from 0~5cc per 100 shots difference between each injector.
    2)You will have one cylinder running Cold and the next hot
    3)You will suffer Valve recession on some cylinders and non on others
    4)You will/may experience rough Idle
    5)You will /may experience higher or lower Horse power

Another words don’t even think about it unless you trim the injectors prior to installing them at which time you can set them HIGH or higher than the factory spec. To do this you need to correct tooling and to my Knowledge there is no one in Australia that can do this apart from me and I don’t do it for a business as I fix Bulldozers not Trucks.

Even if you try and trim each one to the same amount it won’t work Ie. Change each one by 10…..
    So if number 1 injector is 2510 make it 2520 and if number 2 is 8700 and make it 8710 it will go all pear shaped.. The Trimming doesn’t work by setting them all the same nor by adding the same value to each one.

The correct trim code may well be at the max point for that particular injector so by adding even 1 to the trim it may drop off the top and back to minimum flow and the next injector may have a bigger window and go up so now you have starved one cylinder and over fueled the next.

BE Careful unless you want to burn out turbo’s and have valve recession problems.

Remember different injectors will supply more or less fuel and you can achieve power by selecting a higher flow injector but first of all you need to know the part numbers of these and Cat won’t tell you as they won’t even tell the Cat dealers so unless you can test then don’t bother.

What I do with my Earthmoving stuff is Trim each injector on the bench before installing them in the engine and I can trim them UP or down but most of all I Trim them evenly.

Before you even consider doing any of this for pete sake check:
    1)your intake system by pressurizing it with at least 40PSI and 50PSI if its an ACERT engine
    2)check the fuel system for Air and restrictions
    3)Check for Fuel pressure which must be at least 100PSI at full noise
    4)Get rid of the PRO filter if you have one and put the CAT High flow on.
    5)Check all valve and injector mechanical adjustments.
    6)Check the waist Gate on the turbo and make sure its seating and not opening to early.
    7)Make sure the turbine housing isn’t cracked or burnt out internally or the turbine wheel fins worn down.

Treat it right and you will get more Kilometers per liter and less repair costs. In most cases a “bit” more HP will give you better mileage and engine life.

j-dawg and W900ChuckTerri Thank this.
  6. C16KIWI

C16KIWI Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the info,I have resisted the urge to put in injector codes for this reason.
    But this has got me thinking.......I brought a set of hand made injectors (bulls#$t) off Great Lakes but they still run the factory injector codes,if they were hand made they wouldn't have the same factory injector codes would they????
    All the part numbers have been removed but I would say they are factory 58s or 59s and just sell them as "hand made" to rip people off:biggrin_25510:

7. Far_Call

Aug 21, 2009
    Australia
    Even as the Injector wears with age the trim code will drift out and after so many miles its not correct. You can lap the needle lift and shim the solenoid actuator and change the output as well but then what do you do? you still need to trim it so ALL 6 are equal so once you do anything they need a new trim code. at which time you can Trim them UP and this will give you much more HP as long as they are trimmed evenly it will minimize any adverse effects on your engine life.

Making them all the same Code is suicide..... I didn't personally worry to much until I started testing them and then I Shat myself once I realized how much they varied and especially when they drop off the trim window. Then it explained why so many problems went unanswered over the years.

8. 05chopper

05chopper Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2008
    USA
    Even if the injector nozzel wears with age the ECM is going to control fuel output.The old b/model nozzels with age would alter the spray pattern = more h/p output. Be nice to get all the facts and check points in a row.

9. Far_Call

Aug 21, 2009
    Australia
    The problem or maybe the advantage of the CAT ECM is it makes all its calculation on a "Known" injector size so if you change the injector to one that produces more fuel the ECM has no idea and still makes its decision on the Injector listed in its tables matching the OT Spec and Flash file.
    As the Nozzle wears the ECM has no means to correct this as its tables are set. The same as if you trim up an injector to produce more fuel over the same number of shots at the same Rack position it will produce more HP and the ECM cannot make allowance for that is it can’t change its tables and only assumes you have a Matching Injector and its trimmed correctly.

Nozzle wear is minimal and as such makes minimal difference unlike Trim which can make a huge difference especially when done right.

10. freddyweigel

freddyweigel Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2010
    derry,NH
    When I replaced an injector in my cat I remember I had to take the truck to the dealer with the injector S/n and position in order of set it up. After that she run and idles beautiful.

11. V8Lenny

V8Lenny Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Europe
    Volvo ECM can "feel" worn injector and fine tune the injection period to get a smooth running engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.