Injured

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CrappieJunkie, Jun 26, 2014.

1. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    What is the worst injury you have driven with while on the road???

I'll start today pulled a muscle in my lower back putting socks on. Old injury aggravated again. Thank God I have auto shift or wouldn't been able to drive the 375 miles needed to today. Wife doesn't drive but she helped with tandem handle. I did lines and landing gear. Was only 6k lbs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Broke my right hand with a floor ld.. Then moved about 30 cases to make weight.
    Oh was driving a cabover at the time. Made it from Mn. to western Ia. Had the doctor set the broken bone and then drove to the bosses house in the sandhills of Ne..

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    broke three ribs once in Iowa. was the roughest ride to the house in ohio I EVER had.

5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Pilonidal cyst. Nuff said.

Chinatown and Broccelli Thank this.
  6. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Bit by spider at home just itched didn't think much of it. Took off towards El Paso, next day was so much pain I was sweating constantly. Unloaded and reloaded to laredo. Knee was swelled bad, turning black...unloaded and reloaded back to ky. Was more than glad to pay the emergency room visit when I got back.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This really probably wasn't my worst injury ever suffered but it was fairly recent and fresh on my mind and may help others. I was in the back of an empty d/h reefer picking out larger wood pieces to throw away. I normally leave the left door closed and use it to assist in entry and exit but it was getting near dark and I had both doors open this time for extra light ... I'm fairly agile and can scoot down and "jump off" to the ground no problem. However this particular place, the trailer was backed up to a place where the ground was tapering down at the rear of the trailer and where the ground level was, was probably 3 inches lower then instinct was planning for (normal floor to ground height). I sort of hurt an ankle and a shoulder. I survived ok and after a week or so all was back to normal. As in anything, injuries can occur in the stupidest and seemingly least likeliest of ways.

I flat-bedded for about 18 months and never hurt myself but there must be 2 dozen ways ways to easily hurt yourself doing that work.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a believe it or not story. For relief of a pilonidal cyst or any other kind of cyst/boil; use a diabetes lancing device that pricks your finger to get that drop of blood for testing. Press the lancing device onto the cyst/boil and it pricks the skin, but you won't feel it. This is just enough that it weakens the skin and the cyst/boil will drain.

misterG and icsheeple Thank this.
  9. Tarzan528

Tarzan528 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Third time pulling doubles. Was pulling my dolly toward the back of the first trailer to hook it up. The dolly caught some momentum and "stupid me" thought I could stop it by pulling back on it. WITH MY LEFT HAND ON THE FRONT OF IT. The dolly hit the trailer with my hand in between them. Hooked everything up one handed and drove the 250 miles back thinking my hand was broke.

10. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Once driving a log truck when cutting off the logs sticking out back, one fell on my right foot. Of course at that time it did not hurt, I guess it was numb, & I went on to the sawmill with the boss saying you better let me take you to the doctor. Wow! When I got to the scales the feelings were coming back, & before I got to our shop I was nearly crying.

The doctor pulled my boot off, it was full of blood, my sock was soaked, when I saw this I was thinking, this is not good. My big toe was crushed, mashed. It was several weeks before I could walk normal.

Yet that was not as bad as another incident.

I had a boil on my backend & got a load down in Louisiana & when I crossed the state line they were fixing to repave the road. And the road was done in about twenty feet section, they had filled the expansion joints overflowing with tar, & each time I hit an expansion joint the truck went bump, & pain when all though me. It was quite bad loaded, yet coming back empty it was even worse than ever. Wow, was I happy when I crossed the state line!

The next morning I went to my doctor instead of work, & got it taken care of.

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  11. lonewaya

lonewaya Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Calf
    I got the knee hurt it back in 09 and been though 6 plus times on the table and the 4th time I got a real bad infection and been dealing with it going on two years now Talked to my Dr. today and may try change meds if not I will be going under the blade again tearing it all out and putting other one in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.