Injured

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CrappieJunkie, Jun 26, 2014.

1. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    My pride was pretty hurt after I slipped on some ice two winters ago :/

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zenaddler

zenaddler Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I was canoeing the Occee River and flipped in a big rapid. Hit my tailbone on a rock on the bottom going pretty fast. Didn't go to the doc. Each time I got out of my drivers seat I wondered if I was going to be able to stand up. it took forever to heal.

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    In my younger days, September 18, 2001 to be exact, I drove from Harrisburg Pa to Baltimore with a concussion. I was hauling a small backhoe and the chains worked loose. While tightening the binders I hooked a three foot piece of pipe on the binder handle and started pulling. My feet slipped, I lost grip on the pipe, which went sailing straight up. I stood and watched it cartwheel up, and right back down into my head. When I came to a while later, blood was running down my face from the cut. Having no other alternative, I wrapped a dirty rag around my head like a turban, put my hat over top and hit the road. Not the smartest thing, I know.
    Made it home that night, mom looked at me and loaded me in the family truckster for the ride to the ER. One concussion and five stitches later, and I was on my way. Went back to work two days later.

5. MichiganOutLaw

MichiganOutLaw Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Michigan
    save yourself and avoid dollar general driver unloads

6. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Worst injury ever neck spasm. I felt that every time it grabbed I was gonna die.. after 2 days of suffering I stopped at rock springs wy hospital 900 dollars and 17 minutes later I felt like a god

2nd one when I fell of my motorcycle I scraped up my left arm from shoulder down to fingers. . Not only did it hurt but even the sun made it hurt more. Had to keep wrapping it. Grr.

windsmith Thanks this.
  7. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Was pulling tarp over covered wagon in CA in 30 MPH wind. Tarp flapped and lifted me in air. I finished and by the time I got to Omaha NE I had to crawl to an emergency care facility with tears in my eyes. Dr said, "Push belly out and arch back. Does that ease it?" Yup! "Go home and have surgery on L4-L5." I flew to VA and hired someone to bring truck in and deliver load. Post surgery felt like someone hit me with a 5 lb sledge.

8. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    My feelings get hurt the worse.Im a sissy like that :smt061

I physically had a heat stroke last summer in Fla.,after
    hand unloading from a trailer for 2 hrs.
    Thought I was dying.I pulled off from delivery,and fell out
    in parking lot less than a mile from delivery.
    Heat aint no joke!!That trailer felt like an attic!!

bergy Thanks this.
  9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I had the same kind of pulled muscle you had, but in my neck. I was lumping freight and felt a twinge, but didn't think anything of it. On the way back to the yard, I started having neck spasms. I was able to make it back, but it took a trip to the doc, muscle relaxers and an entire weekend to get back to normal. It happened on Friday, and I was back to work on Tuesday. Mainly because they wouldn't let me come back until I got a release from the doc on Monday.

10. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I don't know for sure, but I've always heard that putting a piece of fatback over it will draw it out. People swear by that.

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Had my jaw broken by a snap binder when I first started flatbedding 20 years ago. I'd been in my share of fights, but I have never seen any man that hits as hard as a snap binder.

Last year, left the house, went 140 miles down the road to pick up an oversized. Found out that the load had to be tarped. Wasnt prepared for that, and so told the people that I need $400 per tarped, hoping they would decline and I would leave. They agreed to my price and I started tarping. It took all day...from 0700 to 1900. It was hot, I was drink water, but my hands started cramping really badly. I didnt get finished, and the shipper was locking the gates, and so I had to leave. My hands were so crippled up, that I could hardly drive. Went to the nearest truckstop, and had to ask a woman at the register aboput medication for cramps. Nowadays, I keep stuff like Slimfast in the truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.