Inside View on Schneider Dedicated Routes

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Msg404, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Msg404

Msg404 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Well. I've been running around trying to get some insight as to what I can expect from a job that I am considering taking, and a lot of information I'm finding seems older. I'd like a more updated look at things since policies/pay/etc can change over the years, and after basically chasing my tail for a while to find some threads on it, decided maybe it would be quicker to just post my own thread asking. So I literally just made an account a moment ago to post this question.

I just graduated from a trucking school. I was lucky to receive a grant that covered most of it, so little of the cost came out of my pocket, but my schooling was NOT funded at all by a driving company, so I am not beholden to any kind of employment contract. I passed my CDL test today, and was talking with my instructers and a few other classmates. One of my classmates applied for and received a job offer through Schneider for a dedicated Target route that is based out of Chambersburg, PA -- not too far from where I live. He told me the details of it, and it sounded like the kind of trucking job I was hoping to start my career with -- home multiple times a week, sometimes daily, driving not too far from home. I need something like this to get my first burst of experience so I can (hopefully) eventually get into a team position with my fiance. He also took this class with me and is looking for something similar. My classmate also told me that apparently this is a new contract Schneider started and that they are seeking for 20+ new drivers to fill the positions.

Anyway. I called a recruiter and he went over the details with me. 18 days of orientation about 10 miles from where I live, so I don't need to worry about staying at a hotel/travel to the hotel during training if I want. The initial 18 days includes my on-the-road training, from the way the recruiter was talking, and afterwards, I do believe I will be driving the route solo. I'll be picking up in Chambersburg, which is near where I live, and then my routes from there may vary. The routes will all be Target-focused, but which Target I get to will depend on demand, the routes covering parts of PA, NJ, NY, and CT, all stereotypical of these kind of dedicated routes, from what little I know. All no-touch, the recruiter told me. He again told me that the routes will vary, but I can expect to be home a few times a week. He also told me that I will start at 55 cpm for the first 6 months, pay will increase to 57 cpm from 6 months, and after a year I can expect 58 cpm. He told me that drivers average 2100 miles/week.

So... it sounds good to me, and I tell him I'm interested. My instructers told me Schneider is a good starter company, the pay/work seems good from what the recruiter tells me, etc. Since I just passed my CDL-A test today, the recruiter couldn't schedule me for an orientation since the system hadn't yet updated with my upgraded license type, and that he will call me Sunday/Monday when he's back in his office. I currently am employed in a decent-paying (non-driving) job, so I'm not worried about the orientation being pushed off, as I'll need to put a notice in, anyway. After we end our conversation, I decide to do some digging, and... grow a bit concerned with things I see/as I remember things my instructors told me. (Basically, that recruiters will tell you ANYTHING to get you contracted with a company as they get paid on commission.) My fiance also applied for this job, and he has a similar conditional job-offer that he will be scheduled for an orientation after the system updates with his upgraded license type.

And so, my questions, and need for some advice from people who have experience with Schnedier/dedicated routes/etc.

1) The job posting mentioned a $4,000 sign-on bonus for inexperienced drivers ($7,500 for experienced). That... seems high. Is that realistic, or are there loads of strings attached to sign-on bonuses that high? I forgot to mention that I saw the sign-on bonus when I spoke with the recruiter earlier (got distracted when he started throwing all kinds of other information at me) -- is that something I need to talk about/hash out details about with the recruiter to receive? Would I still be able to bring that up before my orientation is scheduled?
    2) From what I've heard/seen, 55 cpm is a higher starting pay, right? Is there something that the recruiter again probably isn't completely telling me? Like... I need so many months experience AFTER finishing orientation to receive that pay?
    3) I do believe that the recruiter told me that I will be driving for what amounts to basically 4 1/2 days a week (not sure what's up on the 1/2). I tried asking for a rough example of what my work-schedule might look like (am I out for three days then home for a day, is that day between loads part of the "weekend", etc), and he... wasn't very clear in his answer. He sort of gave me an answer, but it was hard to follow (and I think my inexperience was part of why). The job was listed as "home several times a week" dedicated, and with the "4 1/2 days" of driving time, I was hoping for a day or two back to back to be home and relax. Is that at all what the week is usually likely to look like (or what it looks like for you)?

SORRY for the inundation of information/questions. I'm just afraid of signing myself into this job too fast without asking the proper questions first, and as I'm looking for my first CDL-A job (and I'm not attached to any contract that I can choose my employer), I have no idea what to ask at times and utterly no experience to fall back on. Any insight/advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do what you want, but I'd take a close look at Leonard's Express and Calex Logistics. Both hire new cdl grads and your fiancée can team with you at both companies.
    There's a reason Schneider keeps a recruiting drive for those Target accounts.
    Overall , Schneider seems like a good outfit.
    With Calex & Leonard's you and your fiancée will do mostly California runs. I see their trucks running through Las Vegas.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    meechyaboy Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The bonus (if any) is paid over time...... lots of time.

Not sure how long tho .

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Don't do it.
    Horrible,horrible job.
    The worst of the worst.
    Absolutely not the first job you want as a truck driver.

There's a reason it pays .55 cpm.
    Your not gonna get many miles.
    Whole lot of sitting either at the customer
    Or sitting in traffic.

Your gonna load out of chambersburg, pa.
    Then deliver in philly, jersey, n.y city and Connecticut.
    That's pure hell for a truck driver everyday.
    It's a full time job with half the pay.
    You'll work 10 hours a day and get paid for 5.

That's hard work for an expierenced driver.
    For a rookie your chances of tearing something up
    Or making a wrong turn in the worst cities for a
    Truck driver go up 50 percent.
    Have fun just trying to find a place to park every night.

You'll hate every part of it.
    You'll hate your life.
    You'll hate being a truck driver.
    You'll wish you never quit your old job.

Home time is whenever you get there.
    There is no set schedule.
    If you and your fiancé are gonna run team
    Then you need to go OTR.

Nobody teams running 200 miles loads and
    Sitting in traffic 2 hours a day.
    Find something else.
    That's my 2 cents.

By the way I'm from New Jersey.
    Done that northeast regional myself.
    Worst job I ever had.
    I hated it so much I quit, loaded up my pickup Truck,
    And moved to Texas 15 years ago.
    That's how bad what you described sucks.

8. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Subbing this thread b/c I want to hear how this turns out?

I too am looking at going to CDL school either in July or August so I spoke w/ a Schneider recruiter about what might be available in my area, Houston, TX. I did find out that they do take new CDL grads for their tanker division training in Houston and then you can go OTR @ .44cpm + accessorial pay.

The other thing that was mentioned was a dedicated BASF route from Houston @ .47cpm. It's apparently driving a reefer chemical truck 2000 - 2400 mi/wk w/ what the recruiter described as a "two customer stop-off". Average out time two weeks and two days home.

9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    well, personally, it doesn't sound too bad to me.
    1. the .55 cpm is because you won't run that many miles. 2100 sounds about right.
    2. the bonus will likely be paid out $500 every 90 days. But you should ask your recruiter. It WON'T be paid in one lump sum.
    3. yeah, the routes sound tough, but if you live in that neck of the woods, you're probably used to the traffic by now. Ask you recruiter if they're running automatics, (they probably are). If they are, it makes it a lot easier.
    4. the 4 1/2 day thing tells me you'll be running odd hours.....which could be a plus if traffic is jacked up during the day. But you should / could count on probably 1 1/2 days at home over the weekend.

Personally, I like Schneider. I started with them when I graduated school almost 8 years ago. They're kind of a no nonsense company; just deliver the freight on time and you won't hear from them. They run decent equipment and generally are pretty easy to get along with. Call your recruiter with your questions.
    @gentleroger might have some insight as well.
    Good luck

gentleroger Thanks this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Target dedicated guys in WI and IA are pretty happy drivers.

You'll be doing a lot of double drop and hooks. You'll show up at the delivery, drop your loaded, pull an mt from the dock and drop it, rehook to your loaded and put that in the dock, then rehook to the mt. Sounds harder than it is.

The 4.5 days is an average. Some weeks you will do 6, some 4, but usually your last day is rather short. You will get back to the dc several times a week - whether you get home depends on how close you live to the dc.

PuttyTJ and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.