Installed used engine in 2013 VNL I shift, now tranny problems

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by tom horn, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    nasriza Really knows his stuff. I would answer his questions and see what all he has to say.

tom horn Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tom horn

tom horn Bobtail Member

May 17, 2020

What I mean by untrack is the truck will not move when put in gear. It will rev up in neutral but when you put it in gear there is no throttle response and the truck will not move. The shop we had this done at is not experienced enough on Volvo's to know all that about the bellhousing difference. Our mistake for not sending it to the stealershits we just got so tired of being burnt by them. I don't know how they get away with charging the hours they do. I started mechanic work in the 70's and we always had a labor guide to go by. For example I did a lot of 13 speed clutch jobs and they pay 6 hours no matter how long it took. The Volvo dealer in Enid Ok. said to r and r the transmission and swap bellhousings would be 40 hours labor and we will be supplying the auto trans bellhousing it if comes to that. My prayer is there maybe another way out. Possibly a conversion kit? Nowadays I think they make up whatever time they want. Need to report them too the attorney general or BBB. ?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Sorry to be a downer bub but you are comparing premission trucks to the new highly electronic newer emissions junk trucks. Alot more involved. Should have had your son stick with old iron.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Don’t need a conversion kit need someone to calibrate your trans nothing else someone got to calibrate clutch and Thad all should take care of issue did the truck ever drive after swap. It will not be perfect but need to calibrate clutch to see if it might work.

Flint1 Thanks this.
  6. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    If something wrong clutch will not pass calibration. I would try this before anhthing else need to know if truck ever drove after engine installed if not need calibration if yes something is going on with trans/clutch taking away throttle is protection mechanism from excessive damage that might occur. I’m assuming they did replace clutch and flywheel. From the old engine.

Flint1 Thanks this.
  7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Where is the truck located do they have computer capabilities or diagnostic computer with nexiq

Flint1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.