Installing a power inverter

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by BAYOU, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I just never hooked that frame ground up before but with all this new stuff I didn't know if there was more to it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jimmbuds

Jimmbuds Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I have the same inverter in my truck just curious when you hooked it up if you installed fuses in you power lines? If so where you get purchase them?

4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    2500 Watts will require 250 Amps at 12 Volts, accounting for inverter efficiency. To supply that current to the inverter at minimum required voltage would require 4/0 cable minimum. Two connections allow you to use a pair of 2/0 cables to the inverter which makes things a bit more manageable than a single 4/0 cable.

Keep in mind that if you're not going to actually draw 2500 Watts from the inverter for extended periods, you can get away with using smaller cables.
    Don't use high power loads without your engine running at high idle or you will deplete your battery capacity quickly. Also be sure that your alternator can supply the current needed to power your loads. For every 100 Watts of inverter load, you will require roughly 10 Amps from your alternator.

379exhd Thanks this.
  5. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I used a stereo amp kit comes with a fuse and 20ft of wire everything you need or if you already have it just go get a fuse from a stereo shop they have them in stock.

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Uh, huh. Try remembering that 3 years from now in the middle of the night after not getting much sleep for awhile. That's a prescription for a truck fire.

windsmith Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.