Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't know this was something you were worrying about. I had a friend in school that had an accident (supposedly not his fault) but he was turned down all around except for CRST Vans. Worth a call. If no big guys then try to find some local or craig's ads and go see them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

thanks for that info. I've heard a lot of that but some things you have to hear more than once before you believe it could possibly be true.

There really is no room for common sense in the law.

4. BabiBoi357

BabiBoi357 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Birmingham, Al.
    Yes, it is on my DMV record, and it was in my personnel vehicle. The cost of the ticket was only 110 dollars and a 20 dollar fine.

5. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I never said anything about being hauled off to jail, and I'm sorry to say this but according to reputable companies (i.e. TMC) and their insurance companies getting a ticket 15mph or more over the speed limit is equally as bad (as far as getting hired is concerned) as a DUI. These same reputable companies usually won't tolerate more than 2 of these EVER, just like DUIs.

Having his record sealed or expunged is probably the only way he can get hired by any reputable company without waiting a couple years.

Ask me how I know this.

6. BabiBoi357

Feb 5, 2009
    Birmingham, Al.
    Your absolutely right. I called the DA Office and I pretty much have to spend some money to get this off my driving record. Which I don't have a problem with. If thats what its going to take, then that's what I will do. The money for this is not really a problem, as I have a pretty good savings account. I could buy a truck out right and pay cash for it. However, I would like to get on with a flat bed company, and learn the ropes first before I commit to such a leap of faith. My other altternative is to maybe go the PP route, but as mention before the insurance $$$$$. I sure they would smile at me coming through the door.

I could get on with a less reputable company and ride the ticket out, but the idea of working for crooks just don't sit well with me. I am employed, so I won't starve. I just hate (and I mean hate) coming to work here every day. Once apon a time this was a great company, until the merger a few years back. Then everything went to crap. Seems like there's been a mass exodus the last few years.

7. BabiBoi357

Feb 5, 2009
    Birmingham, Al.

Alabama is: 25MPH over is wreckless driving, and 15MPH over is excessive speeding. Sad part is from Birmingham to Atlanta this is pretty normal. 80MPH is typical in this area. I know that's no excuse, just the way it is. Wrong day of the week I guess.

8. travo131

travo131 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Tomah,WI
    Hey PP how long does it take before you are paid for your loads that u pulled?

9. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    They have in-house factoring. I pay 2% to get paid the day they receive my paperwork. I usually send it in every week to 2 weeks.

10. Fratsit

Fratsit Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Brookings, SD

You got that right. My wife and I go to the Fall Cup race at Talladega every year and people are FLYING up and down I-20. I typically cruise in the slow lane and still do 75 at a minimum just to not impede traffic. We stay at the Hampton Inn on HWY 280 or the new Hilton Garden Inn off of I-459. I just wish I could get a bit closer to the speedway.

I am gonna take some time this year to swing by I20 Truck Sales and kick some tires. :biggrin_25525:

11. M.Enterprises

M.Enterprises Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    That's true. I just don't think it will ever be any different than it always has been. It will be volatile, and waiting for things to smooth out may leave you waiting for a long looong time. Going all in on one truck seems more risky to me than 2 people going partly in on 2 trucks. Especially when repairs need to be done. 100% of your revenues vanish for days- even weeks at a time while you are stuck with an enormous bill. To me, running a one truck operation while not driving is like playing slots. 2 trucks means that at least if 100% of your revenues vanish without any maintenance account, it was because you probably because you just didn't prepare. Maby you killed someone in a past life. I don't know.

I'm thinking that for older trucks, a $0.10/mile PLUS $400/month "no matter what" maintenance account which starts off with a few thousand is pretty much the best you could possibly do. It all depends on the condition of the expensive parts, of course.

The fact that all but 5 or 6 weeks has been "bad" if not "the worst" and I still see things getting back to normal means that I think I can handle 50% of the crap I've taken all over again.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.