Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I've seen holes cut in the back of the sleeper with them mounted in them. lol

I know a guy who has a window unit mounted in the storage space under the bed. he made a front for it to fit in then had a metal hood made for the back of it to direct the air downward and he cut the floor out under the hood so it exhausts out under the bunk. he gets 8 hours out of his before he has to recharge the batteries but he has two large industrial bateries instead of marine batteries.
    I figure the portable unit is less redneck then hangin the window unit out the door

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    An electric motor A/C compressor tied into your trucks system would work well.. You can also run a digital thermostat (homedepot) to the compressor to allow it to cycle.

4. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    necessity is the mother of invention i hear LOL
    that guy said it costs like $2 a night or less to run the thing.

5. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    you need more then two batteries. that will only run one for about 2 or 3 hours. I'm trying to figure out how to get 6 batteries mounted. I may have to have a new box lid made. Also considering sealed gel batteries like optima's and utting them under the bed. I don't use that area anyways.

you just run one invertor off the extra batteries. You connect those batteries to your alternator one of two ways. the high tech way which is to buy a battery isolator for about $100 or you can run your alt wire to a starter solinoid and wire your batteries to the solinoid. then you get a normally open pressure switch and screw it into an oil pressure port on your motor. connect power to one side and the other side to the signal on the solidoid. that way when your truck is not running the extra batteries are disconnected from your truck batteries so you don't drain them. then when you start the truck the oil pressure switch closes the solinoid letting the alternator to charge them. little more crative but can be done for about $20

6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Automotive systems use a low side cutout switch to prevent the evaporator pressure from going too low and freezing up the evap. Can't move air across the fins if they're plugged with frost. On the GM style systems anyway.

It's been a hell of a long time since I've worked on TEV systems, and truthfully, I can't remember whether the compressor runs constantly (because the expansion valve controls the low side pressure).

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I considered just putting an invertor on my truck batteries to run the ac and then mounting a small horizontal single cyl diesel motor hoked to an alternator in the pass side box. You can buy a motor liek that on ebay cheap and they run forever on just a few ounces of fuel. Loud though and would need sound proofing.

I'm still trying to figure out whice method would be best.

8. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I have 2 optima yellow-tops in my van to power the amps. Those are great batteries and I hope to use them when I replace the ones in my truck.

9. LDH26

LDH26 Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    How much do those batteries cost MM? The kind you would mount for your a/c.

10. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    hey phil i know a top notch a/c guy he does both house and car a/c's hes the only guy i trust cheap to next time ur around here man if its giving u probs i can set up a meet and he'll tell u whats wrong for beer money pretty much

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    The reason I was going to go with two inverters, was to completely separate the marine batteries from the truck battery's charging system. I've always understood that in multiple battery systems, the batteries have to be fairly closely matched in CCA or AH rating to prevent one dead battery from killing the good batteries by overcharging.

####, that's a lot of batteries in one paragraph!:yes2557:

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.