Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I have spoken to an AC pro and utilizing the method I have designed you would only need to increase the length of the ac lines to tie it into your existing truck system. You would still use the trucks evaporator and condensor but would have to add and electric fan. The thermostat would tie into the fan blower and the new compressor to allow it to cycle like a home unit. This is based off the method that the pony-pack uses except all electric instead of the deisel engine/compressor/alternator. I have a call in to find out the cost of the electric motor ACcompressor. But my calculations put it at under $2000 for the complete set-up probably closer to $1500 with a set of the D34 optimas which should be good for about 10-12 hours continuos run time. By using the thermostat to cycle the system the running time would be greatly reduced except in extreme conditions.

lostNfound Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    i have recently added a window unit to my truck, paid 100.oo at lowe.s for it.

running the sat/tv, AC, dorm frig. i got 5 hours use before the low batt. alarm went off.

batt's. are 2 mos. old

4. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Problem with that method is that you would need a constant supply of ice and FLorida is swampy enough:biggrin_2551: without adding more humidity to the inside of a truck... LOL

What BTU is it? What size inverter are you using?

5. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    5500 btu, i have a 2550 inverter.

6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    For what it's worth,..I'm not a big fan of the Optima batteries,....Way to much money for what you get,..And I know a couple of guys that had Optimas fail in crucial situations,....A battery failing in a tournament fishing for $100,000 is a very bad thing!!!!,...Most guys I know run the cheapest sealed gel batteries that they can find and have few problems,...

Mine are in storage and I can't remember what they are but when I get a chance I'll look,....I get them free from a friend at a cable company when they change them out after three years,...One of mine has been going strong for 5 years.....

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  7. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    i've heard some mixed reviews on them myself. i know a guy with rock-crawler swears by them. another friend had one on his 26' cape horn and ran across a couple of bad ones i guess

8. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    What I have been told is that the way the batteries are made lighter causes them to not hold a charge as well as a regular gell cell,.....I have seen a couple with extreme cracking issues,.......Of course tournament ware and tare is probably a little more extreme than life in the real world,.......

Some guys swear by them,......But then again they may be payed to swear bu them,.....

9. M.Enterprises

M.Enterprises Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    So where do you put the window unit? In the window??? I assume you take this down every time you need to run the truck.

Speaking of this, I was wondering if a normal household generator could be hooked up to a large inverter and simply run power from it, instead of an APU. Its not as nice, but it saves around $5,000.

10. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    yes i put it in the window, then roll it up tight to wedge it in the opening.

in my co. truck i am just using the batt's. / once i get my truck online i will use my generator.

i have a photo of it, just click on it in one of my posts.

11. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    i spent 1200.oo on the gen. and 100.oo on the ac.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.