Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Hey, no that would be a reasonable assumption. But if I wasn't clear, they only told me what THEY do. They are not taking on any other workers. They only gave me the number of a broker since they have an interest in making sure there's a way for the truck to get paid for. The way it fits into my theory here is that there seem to be a lot of possibilities, and the more people I speak to, the more reveal themselves.

It may be best NOT to confine yourself to one kind of work, this is what I'm taking from this, but if I find something that works well, I'll stick with it. I could make this truck payment for a year if it sat in my driveway, please don't be overly concerned. At the same time, I don't want to appear over confident either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DoubleDear

DoubleDear Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    Who is this Broker if I may ask?
    So I can tell if you'll make the money or not .

You say, it's best not to confine yourself to one work. If it pays well? then yes it is better to stick to one line of work.
    You'll eventually get tired of jumping around.

Working through Brokers, you will need to get your own trailer, besides your own authority. The Broker only provides the loads, and the loads have to match with the type of trailer you have. Lets say you have a 48ft dry van. And all these loads they have available, needs a 53 ft reefer. Then what ? That's just one example. And it takes a lot more knowledge to load a wet line. It's up to you how they load it. The people loading it, won't care about bridge weight. Another example.

That's why most people lease on with a trucking company, that provides the trailers. . and loads. To do away with all the headaches.

ha, ha, I'd like to see you go through this with wet feet. :biggrin_25517: Please do let me know.

4. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    There's going to be plenty of things I'm not prepared for, but I assure you it won't be any of the terrible mismatching and poor planning you are citing, which, is just gross negligence if you ask me. I'm not going to fail because I signed on with a broker requiring 53' dry's when I have a 48'.

One guy I know said to make sure the truck is perfectly level before dumping because the truck will tip over if it's not. Now THAT is the kind of small detail that helps me, it will be those types of things I need to prepare for. The business plan itself will be flawless and checked over before I step into anything.

And yeah, you'll get your satisfaction maybe, since I will be completely honest about how anything works out one way or another.

I am going to give one standard reply from now on for those who advise me to get some experience first:

I agree, will you take me on? Help me out? Give me a shot? Train me right?

If the answer is no, then PLEASE do not give me a hard time for making orange juice out of lemons!

ihford350 Thanks this.
  5. DoubleDear

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA
    PharmPhail, I'm not trying to be hard on you. As a matter of fact , I like your personality.

You seem like the type , that's a real Go Getter. You have no fear in anything to stop you. I Praise you for that.

You just may learn the hard way through experience as you go. You may fall, but you'll lift yourself right back up. We need more people like this in life. !!! A REAL GO GETTER ! GO FOR IT! :yes2557:
    Ha, Ha, ha, then you can shake your booty like your Avatar.
    I'm sure people here will help you as you need it.

By the way? What does PharmPhail stand for?
    I keep thinking of the Medical Field, Big Pharma.

jamesd503, Rocks and Baack Thank this.
  6. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC

Thanks, was hoping I could bring you around!

Yeah, Pharmacist turned Trucker... long story... anyway just know that truckers come from all walks of life!

7. Bobg

Bobg Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2009
    PNW
    I had a neighbor about four years ago that just up and bought his truck/trailer got his authority and started trucking locally. He did this for about a year and said he did alright. The second year he started running OTR and now their running eight trucks and he said their doing really good. The mostly run the northwest.

Bob

lottwatt, newly crusin and PharmPhail Thank this.
  8. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    That's the kind of stories we wanna hear!! 8 trucks, hallelujah~

YMMV - lol

Man, if you could just find the right local contract... this place has 10k million-mile + trucks all day long. Could get 25 trucks over a year.

9. DoubleDear

Jan 28, 2009
    Harrisburg PA

Great!! I'm sure you have many stories to tell about Big Pharma. I'll be calling on you about that.

Yes , many walks of life come on board as a Trucker. Lot of Attorneys too.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  10. BIGCOUNTRY82

BIGCOUNTRY82 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2009
    NC
    hey pharmphail are you still goinog to mcelroy .

11. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Looked at some trucks today. These are the ones I'm considering:

#1:

2002 Freightliner Columbia, Immaculate inside and out, brand new tires with tread so deep you could lose a finger in there. This one really clicked with me which was good. New overhaul, 1 year warranty. I think this is the only one that does have one. Asking $29.9K

12.7 Detroit 430 HP, 10 Spd OD, 4 Bag Air Ride Suspension, 225" WB, 72" Condo Sleeper, Aluminum Wheels, Tandem Axle, 786,371 miles, Fresh Rebuild with 1yr warranty

[​IMG]

#2:

'99 KW T2000, I didn't get to see this one in person, but still interested. It was in the shop getting something good I'm sure done to it. Asking $22.4k

N14 RED TOP Cummins 435 HP, Super 10 Spd, Engine Brake, Air Ride Suspension, 3.73 Ratio, 230" WB, 74" Raised Roof Condo, 22.5LP Tires, Aluminum/Steel Wheels

[​IMG]

#3:

'99 Volvo T770, Asking $24.9k. Very decent overall. I got the feeling he was pushing me a bit towards this one initially. Engine was replaced with a rebuilt Series 60 Detroit with 350k miles on it. (Odometer was just under a mil for the rest of it).

12.6 Detroit 470 HP, 10 Spd OD, Engine Brake, Air Ride Suspension, 3.70 Ratio, Double Bunk, Aluminum Wheels, Tandem Axle, 329,785 miles, Very clean 770

[​IMG]

There is also a 2001 red volvo T610 automatic tranny with a volvo engine that was nice. Any opinions on Volvo engines would be nice. I'm disregarding it for now since I'm thinking it would be a hassle to get fixed?

I'm looking for fuel economy first, dependability second, looks last (but not unimportant, just don't need a long nose).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.