Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    :biggrin_25514: just got off the phone with rob and yes things are alot better,and you are right in what your saying medman,,,,glad to see things are turning around

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 13 Double Over

13 Double Over Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hi, JasontheRock.
    You're not being a smarty-pants, at all. You speak the truth.
    Only about, maybe, 3% of brokers ask for references. We just happened to get hit with 3 in a row when we first got our own authority. (We just listed a carrier we'd been with for about 5 years, and still had 6 trucks with. Ah, the good old days before the economy change. But, I digress... ) Now that I'm awake, I can't even remember the last time someone asked for references. So, my original answer holds no water. That's what I get for falling asleep with the laptop on my lap! I didn't even know there were more pages than the 1st one to the thread. And, I was a little alarmed by the original poster's idea. Heck, his enthusiasm alone will get him far. But, when we ran only 1 truck under our authority, something from here at home was needed sometimes. I forget, there are probably plenty of folks out there with no backup at home.

Anyway, as soon as I woke up, nice and warm from the laptop perched on me, I kept looking around this site. Figured out a little more, and here I am again today. But, it would be easy to spend a lot of time here.

4. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    13double yes its easy to have time fly reading theses threads
    :biggrin_25523:

5. BabiBoi357

BabiBoi357 Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Birmingham, Al.
    Hello everyone, Just another update. I made a $350.00 mistate just the other day, which I will never (hopefully) repeat again. I pulled into a truck stop about 3am, 30 miles from reciever. Appt. in 3hrs. Needless to say theirs no parking. So I decided to part on dead end street with nothing their. Their were a few other trucks their so I followed suit. Here's the problem, the spot I part at was on a slight angle, and with only a 1/4 tank of fuel. I hit the hay for a couple of hrs, got up was about to take off. As soon as I put the truck in gear it shut off. Low fuel in the right tank. Most of the fuel ran out the right tank and into the left making it look like I had a 1/2 tank of fuel. Call out a service truck to get me started and off I go. $350 dollars later and late for my appointment. Not how I like to start my day. After I got unloaded I stop at a parts store bought me a filter wrench and a portable hand pump.(just in case this happens again.) There's no way you can plan for all mishaps, but these kind of mistakes can be costly.

6. Oh, man this is awesome!! I just sat and read all the way to page 50. I carried my laptop from my desk to my recliner and finished reading tonight in bed. I have to go in the morning and put four new batteries in my tractor before I leave out, so I am logging off for now. I don't think I've EVER read 50 pages of ANYTHING in one sitting before!!:biggrin_25523:

I learned that I wasted a lot of years to become an O/O. I've been doing this 17 years and still don't have my own authorities (yet).

Hats off to you, Pharm, for showing the testicular fortitude to tackle all of this head on. I can't wait to read past page 50!!

7. Oh man!!!:shock::shock::shock: Holy crap!!!!

You're lucky he didn't spill that thing right into the side of your wagon!! From the looks of the vid, it was pretty da'gum close!!!!:shock::smt119:shock:

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    IIRC, the driver of that rig died in that wreck.

9. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    So did the trainer that was sleeping in the bunk,..........

10. exmedic

exmedic Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Troy, ny
    Hello all!!!

I happened to find Rob's thread by doing the research or should I stay starting the research to take on my own endeavor. A little about my background, I worked as a paramedic for 20 plus years only to have a job that I ended up dealing with a very sick seven day old that by the work of the Lord himself, I was able to take the necessary steps so she would see another day, not going to go into detail more than that, but in the end it opened up 20 years of nightmares I had tucked away. I got diagnosed with PTSD back in September, no longer able to work as a medic, and truthfully after what I went through with the PTSD I no longer want to. So as a result and having a family to try to support back into a truck I climbed in January. I also went through some trail and tribulation of the economy of my own, landscape construction took a real squat with the economy, didn't snow enough worth talking about here in New York this year, so in the truck I went. I missed running a trailer, I have a single axle dump with a tag to move my equipment, but it just isn't the same.

Any how, the company I work for, the numbers work out that if you run a straight truck, you make a whole lot more than a trailer, no if and or buts about it, so I decided after a buddy of mine hounding me for years to seriously look at the o/o route. If I am going to be able to make a decent living, it sure isn't going to be with one of the driver mills.

So I went to the point to actually track down some possible tractors, had a company lined up that was hiring power only, with FS worked out to about 1.60 per mile, all miles and home every night, pulling their van moving bread and pastry products. This seemed like a great route, I have a 15 yo son that lives with me, and the idea of being able to be home that much let me still have a huge position in his life, and I do not rake responsibility lightly, that is one i will have the rest of my days. I have several years of experience running a rock bucket, always did something part time while working as a medic, and was looking at wither the scrap industry or bulk work, hence the way I cam across Rob's thread. I just finished reading it, finally. to sum it up, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

He has truly inspired me to no end, and the people here that not only support his endeavor with kind words and encouragement but when sh!! hits the fan on him, PPPR this is for you, man some of your people are the reason I love being in the truck so much. Even when some of the trolls popped up, I found myself getting really aggravated with their remarks. Rob has become such an inspiration to me, and the fact that he has done nothing but open up his heart and soul here from step one has really earned him a place to be honored and admired. When the going he gets he digs in, when people tell him he can;t do it, he does it, he is #### close to being a hero to me.

Any way, now that I finished reading up to this current point, I wanted to chime in and say hello so to speak, and thank Rob for his no holds barred information. It has been wonderful to be part of his journey so to speak, even if it is just on here. Though I must say, and after reading he was in New York, I could swear I saw his Pete a bit ago at a rest stop, maybe not, but when I went by at about 65 I saw what I think was the blue decal and it was on a white Pete. I find myself noticing the white 387's oddly enough now.

slabrunner and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Congrats on getting rolling exmedic & career change. Have a friend out in VA. that talks about those same nightmares seeing all the stuff you guys do over the years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.