Instant O/O and Load boards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PharmPhail, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CastingMyFateToTheWind

CastingMyFateToTheWind Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Another cruel twist of fate---I finally get someone reeling---and in ain't a hot dame.... :-|

From your verbage, it seems that it does not pay to be an O/O. I had a guy on TTR tell me that his $40k clear of all taxes trumps my soon-to-be $35k gross as a company driver. Now, he did not account he was running for five years and me for zero...but the point is:

A five year company driver can gross $55-80k here in my area. This will water down to about the $40k the O/O claimed to get. Financially speaking, if you take on all the risk of owning a business as on O/O, yet do not get the financial benefit beyond what an employee doing the same work the said business, then why bother owning the business in my humble opinion? The income of the business is ZERO accouting wise. Now, the O/O does have the benefit to refuse loads which could account for some $5-10k better than being a driver for not having to go to NYC and such.

------------------------

Real Life Example: Ten years ago I looked in to purchasing a cookie store in a mall. I looked at the financials. The owner claimed she was grossing $40k annually. I looked at the hours she worked--75-80 in a week! A manager of this store would make $35 at minimum with these hours. Hence, the real 'business' income of this store is about $5k--the gross income less the cost of replacing the owner/operator with an employee.

=============================

Bottom Line: If an O/O cannot set aside money for maintenance, repairs, and/or truck overhaul/replacement, then that O/O has not a profitable business.

===========================

Okay, now since you are speaking for Rob, and that you intimated that Rob was dumping tons of dough in to the truck since day uno, my question for you is this: Why did it take almost two years for him to 'cut his losses'...? Did he litterally have money to burn? I would think after the third months, for a guy a educated as he, that he could see the writing on the wall.

I ain't gonna read through 400 pages to find out, so you may keep me updated--thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    Tampa, Orlando and Jax are the best places in FL to get loaded, not necessarily in that order. When you see lots of loads coming out of specific places in the panhandle most are mulch or lumber and don't pay squat. My rule of thumb for down here, and really most places, is the heavier it is the less it pays.

4. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Yes i wrote it in past tense.. it's not bad, it's just bad in Florida.. once you get out of Florida you're good to go.. You just have to make it out. I had my little gig to get out and once out the world is pretty much yours.. I mainly hauled pipe in Texas, and brought water mains back to Florida to get put on a barge to go to the Bahamas. I know a broker (did two loads for him) that moves rebar of the port in jax, pays pretty good, A 90mi run down to port orange, fl paid almost $300.. for that i dead headed all the way back up for the second one.

One good trick is when you look on load boards ITS, Get Loaded, and whatever that otha one is.. and you see the name of a broker.. do research on the broker, usually they have their own online load boards with even more loads.

5. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Does anyone know this for sure, or not? Rob seemed like a good guy & think most hoped he would have landed on his feet somewhere after trucking.

6. HDFatboy

HDFatboy Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    PA
    A 90 mile load paying $300 is good???

Old Man, BigBadBill and whoopNride Thank this.
  7. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    back then for me it was. i can't speak for the other guy.

8. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Nonsense. He's teaching in Florida. Doing just fine.

9. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    No. Not true at all. Just more HS rumor nonsense.

10. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
  11. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc

I invited him to a car show in Greenville,NC when he first joind TTR. He came down and we had a BLAST. While drinking he informs me his pharmacy license got suspended by the state of NC in November 2008, thats why he got into trucking. Thats also why he had NO OTHER choice but to go O/O from the gate. I liked ROb but couldnt "hang" with him. He has an EXTENSIVE arrest record

He also tells a story of why he didnt make it home for Christmas but the truth was he got arrested in Florida for Driving while license suspended/revoked!!
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...tant-o-o-and-load-boards-455.html#post1157906
    http://www.pascosheriff.com/webapps/IMS500R.pgm?TASK=disp&rrn=000150899&rnd=83463

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.