Insulting flatbed pay .

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by asphaltreptile311, Mar 25, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that few grand they charge you to go to THEIR school due to one’s “inexperience” has a little bit to do with that too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I didn’t go to a company school. I actually went to a community college in Texas abd did my schooling. Took twice as long, but they actually taught us some stuff there. Not just a license mill. But I will say having been on the road for a year and a half now, nothing beats over the road experience. You just don’t know how you’re going to do out here until you get on the road. I’ve had to make many mental and psychological adjustments over the last year and a half to make this work.

I finally feel like I’m in a good place with it but it took at least six months. When you’re a local driver and you go home and sleep in your bed every night next to your girlfriend or wife, it’s a huge change and take several months getting used to the idea that you’re not going home.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    40c a mile for running a skate is an insult. I wouldn't touch it. They can afford to pay more than that.

Small 2 truck operation just the old man and me, I get 37% pulling a box.

If I do my normal run (340mi round trip) and breeze home empty it's $259 ÷ 340mi =0.76c mile. W2 paid

That is just insulting

Edit: 37% is what I would pay a good hand too. A good hand you don't have to worry about is worth every bit of that.

Take doing what i do for example. 340mi X 5 days a week =1700mi $3500 will call it that for this exercise. Usually 2 out of 5 days i get something to kick off on the way back bringing the gross up to ~4500-5000

After my 1295 that leaves 2205 minus fuel which lets say 6.5mpg so ~260gal for the week. I live in pa so let's just say 3.00gal or $785 for the week leaving 1420 to the owner pre tax. I know im not including benefits to the individual and workers comp plus the other nic nacs

He can pay more than 40c. They all can, but will they is the million dollar question

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    D.Tibbitt, FoolsErrand and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Nobody mentions the real deal breaker.
    “Must tarp up to 8’ ” lost my interest right there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    jamespmack and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.