Insurance for a driver with no experience.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ivan1x, Sep 28, 2020.

1. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Wait, how is being in someone else’s insurance policy won’t work for you? That’s literally the main requirement, the only stepping stone. There’s no way around it.

Im pretty sure there’s a lot of one man shows or small fleet owners that you can work for, for a couple of years. Shop around and see what they will take from you weekly/monthly. I wouldn’t do 15%, 10-12% is just about right. 12% is enough to pay for having you on their insurance and the owner will make a small amount of profit from you.

I think this new age mindset of wanting to get to the finish line fast, are setting 4th dimension expectations. We all have to work our way up man.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I was thinking the same thing. I did not get too deep into it, because I am 100% ignorant of how they do what we here in the US call operating authority. Just not sure. Maybe some of our members from Canada could answer this question!

4. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    There was a company I applied to 2 years ago that faked an experience letter and sent it to the insurance company. I got the job and worked there about 3 months before I left.

I don't recommend going this way but it's just food for thought.

5. ivan1x

ivan1x Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2020
    I got a quote from something called Facility Insurance for $14,000. And while that is a lot of money I think I just have to pay it and see what's up. My only concern now is that i won't actually be able to make enough money to pay for all the expenses, maintain the truck, and support myself. Any thoughts?

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    At what weight rating for the truck does the insurance costs shift downwards?

You're at 6,314 kilograms which I think is 14,200 lbs?

What if you found a truck that was 12,000 lbs or less?

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Contact Ooida.com
    Tho being a green driver your insurance will be horrendous for the first year. As you are an assigned risk with zero driven miles

8. KLT logistics

KLT logistics Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Good to hear that , I'm facing the same situation , if you don't mind please share with me the information of the insurance company, thanks in advance

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    My thought? If you won't be able to make enough money to pay for all the expenses, maintain the truck, and support yourself, then WHY are you going to do it????? Doesn't sound like a wise business decision to me. Good luck

SoulScream84 and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  10. Rob InsuranceBroker

Rob InsuranceBroker Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Unfortunately the only option you would have would be to go through facility and depending on radius and if any USA exposure. You will be paying quite a bit with very large deductibles.

11. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Ooida won't help anyone get insurance who has had less than 4 years driving experience.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.