Insurance help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Crossbones, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Crossbones

Crossbones Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    I cannot believe the quotes I'm getting. Any companies out there willing to insure a new O/O, with "new" CDL in order to meet broker requirements? I've gotten quotes as high as $70.000!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Progressive . My first year was about 18,000.

Crossbones Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It should be higher. Those with no experience behind the wheel are high enough risk, those who have no experience in the industry compound that risk.

This isn't the old days where you could buy a truck and start trucking. It is a different world where there are people who now care how we act on the road and many don't tolerate the bs we have there because they are overly sensitive to their safety and the government has reacted.

5. Crossbones

Crossbones Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC

I agree it should be more expensive, just not to the point that it prevents a small business from even getting off the ground.

6. TruckerTW

TruckerTW Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Know this is a bit out dated I just got a quote with progressive for $46k. What were the details on your insurance that got you 17k?

7. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Try raising your deductible and lowering the value of your truck, if you can. That's one of the benefits of driving an older rig.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    it is all about the risk and your exposure 'mod'; baically a history of all the claims ever filed against your company.

A 'zero' experience mod sets off all the underwrighters greatest fears and is priced accodingly in their minds.

Having an 'average' experience mod hit by a fatality and the next renewal [usually another insurance company as you were just cancelled] price will skyrocket.

This can be where a long term relationship between a company and a good insurance broker helps.

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Also if you sign on with a company, your premiums will be less as your buying through the company fleet.
    Tho if your under a year driven, your too green to be solo.

10. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Its been a while , 1000 deductible 68k on truck and 10k value on my trailer. Running OTR all states , Clean driving record over 30 yr old only a couple yrs CDL experience at the time . I had Progressive for another commercial business, not sure if that has any bearing. I'm no longer with Progressive.

TruckerTW Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.