Insurance on Older Trucks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ramirezbrandonc, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ramirezbrandonc

ramirezbrandonc Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a question regarding insuring older trucks.

I recently purchased two older trucks and I am wondering about which company insures older trucks as well as which company is the best for insuring older trucks. My current insurance covers my trucks from the 90s and my new 389, but they won't insure anything over 25 years old.

If this information helps the older trucks I purchased are a 1977 W900 which I will most likely have pulling a drop deck semi-regionally and the other truck is a 1978 International dump truck that will do small jobs in town with my backhoe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Are you talking full coverage or just liability? I've never had trouble getting liability on a older truck, and I've had a 1964 Autocar insured.

I can see you running into problems with full coverage on a older truck, and when you do find it, it is expensive. We just drop back to liability on older trucks.

mtoo, DougA and ramirezbrandonc Thank this.
  5. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014

Both of my 1978 W900's are on my commercial policy, and unfortunately Progressive is the underwriter. They're the only ones that would do it through my agent apparently, so I go with it. They are a pain in the tookus though. I wanted to drop the insurance on one of them a month ago so I can save a few bucks while I do some renovations to one of them, and they insisted that I return the license plates and show proof that I did to them in order to drop the coverage, which erked me a bit but I did.

The other issue they have with me is I wanted to insure one of them with a different underwriter because it could have been a bit less money to do it that way, but they have a problem with that and demand that you have ALL of your commercial coverage with them or NONE. Well, I have a little bad news for the nazi insurance company when it comes time to re-insure that one they forced me to pull the plates off of...they ain't getting that one back, there's more than one way to skin a cat...;)

As for full coverage on an older truck; it's a tough call. When you invest north of $50K into a daily runner like I did last year, you'd hate to wreck it and have them give you book value on a 40 year old truck, so the key is to have it professionally appraised and submit the appraisal to the insurer so they believe the actual value, and you can get as much coverage as possible that way. I'm sure it'd still be a battle right to the finish regardless of what you have it appraised for though, unless you keep every single receipt for parts and whatnot. These insurance companies don't just jump for joy as they write us out settlement checks for the amounts that we want or expect. It's always a fight to the end, but they sure want their payment every month OR ELSE...

I hate insurance, lol.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    easytopleez33 and ramirezbrandonc Thank this.
  6. ramirezbrandonc

ramirezbrandonc Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Santa Fe, NM
    W900AOwner, I appreciate the information. I'm looking at putting another $4K into the Corn Binder so no big loss there. The W900 will have another $9K put into her so it is on the line. I'm also looking at some 359 model Peterbilts and they would have about $45K each so I would definitely like good coverage on them.

As far as getting the professional appraisal and the receipts, etc., what have you found to be helpful and what to look out for with insurance companies when going this route?

Any other information you, or anyone else reading this, could give that might be even remotely related to this subject is greatly appreciated.

7. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014

I found that any antique automobile appraisal firm will be helpful in giving you a full report and appraisal that you can take to the insurance agent and explain to them that you want this extended coverage on this vehicle based on the investment. It's a little bit of a tedious process, but worth the effort.
    Hope that helps.

ramirezbrandonc Thanks this.
  8. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I am in the same boat right now. I have my 1985 359 insured at 90,000$. I am in the process of buying a 1986 359 100% restored. Total cost of restore is 272,684$. Trying to get truck insured for 150,000$. So far no luck. Need an appraiser that actually knows trucks to help me out. I’m not looking for the $272,000. But I need at least $150,000. Truck will be working everyday just like my current 359. I can’t spend $160,000 on a brand new truck that doesn’t hold a candle to the older ones.

9. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    my policy is written threw national casualty ins. they insured a 1986 trailer that i have. i no longer carry full coverage on that trailer but i used to and they wrote the policy with a declared value. they did require some additional inspection due to its age. and even though i don't have insurance on that trailer now they still ask for my dot annual inspection for that trailer every year but yet they don't ask for it for any of the other equipment i own. not a big deal though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.