Insurance problems

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Straighttruckpush, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Straighttruckpush

Straighttruckpush Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2019
    I've had my authority for about 2 1/2 years with 3 trucks, one van and two straights. Running into a insurance pitfall because in January 2018 the driver in the seat of the rig had 2 at fault accidents where my insurance company paid a total of 15k loss, and the driver in a straight was falsely accused of having drug paraphernalia in the same month. A few months later the drug paraphernalia was dropped and completely removed from my mc number, but at renewal the insurance company didn’t honor the removal and with the fresh incidents no one else would insure my company. Of course my renewal rates doubled, I’ve had to let both guys go and I’ve been dragging a 4K a month insurance bill along all year to stay in business. Needless to say it’s taken a toll on the company and I’m currently only utilizing the straight trucks at an ridiculous insurance rate. Coming up on renewal and I just can’t afford the 5k next month hike after dropping my semi. Even with the following months at 1200.00 a month. So im caught in between letting it cancel and taking my chances of finding another company, or re-starting a new authority with the losses. Any suggestions? Thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    You're going to have to go a different route my friend had a similar problem to you. He basically had to lease his trucks onto his brother's company. If you start another company with the truck that was in a accident insurance companies keep track of the Vin numbers in their databases. To relieve your stress you have to move on from your business. You have to come up with another way to do business. I hope the best for you.

4. The PHD in truckin!

The PHD in truckin! Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    These cats are right. I'm just now about to complete the first full year of having my own authority. Its been just me and my W900 and a 53dry. I've been solid good with zero tickets, zero losses, and zero OOS. Now my good buddy in my hometown (Abilene TX yall) is wanting to run a semi he just bought, along with a flatbed, and a 1-ton dually on my authority. And lemme tell you something .... I'm nervous as a ##### in church.

86scotty and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I would never do business with friends or family. And it will all be on your insurance.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All you can do is shop around. Try to find one with the lowest upfront costs. Starting a new mc# wont work,unless in a different (Owners) Name

Straighttruckpush Thanks this.
  7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Dude, bad idea. You will be fully liable for everything he does, as if they were your own trucks and drivers. When you let someone run under your authority the DOT as well as insurance look at it as if you owned and employed them.

Unless henisnpaying you real well for use of the authority, like 15-20% of the gross he is collecting as well as the increase in your insurance I would say no way. You will need lease agreements and by law have to provide all the insurance coverage except bobtail (non-trucking liability), and anything he screws up on DOT inspections counts against your numbers.

Not to mention, heaven forbid he or his driver is in an accident, you will be on the hook for the injury/loss.

The PHD in truckin! Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Did you fire the drivers?

If not ... good luck.

86scotty and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Sounds like he did but not quick enough.
    Best advise..... EVER.

86scotty Thanks this.
  10. Midnight_tim

Midnight_tim Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Might be time to cut your losses and try to find a top-level position in a trucking company or be a driver for someone else. It's a shame that you can hire on anyone and they can cause all this damage to your company and then once they're gone they've left a #### stain on your company forever.

11. The PHD in truckin!

The PHD in truckin! Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    Well he said he'd absorb any and all the extra cost, ie adding them to my consortium , truck maintenance files, ifta filings, obtaining the mvr's, and the additional insurance costs, everything. And of course he'd give me 5% of the bottom line on all transactions. (Many folks don't realize it but the payment for services goes to whatever company name is displayed on the truck, so any money would be going to my company account). Believe me I did plenty of research before I obtained authority. About the only thing I can hope for is that my buddy will change his mind when he sees how much it's gonna cost to insure his trucks on my policy because lemme tell yall this:... even with this 1st year complete with no issues whatsoever, it's still an ungodly amount to carry insurance. And I ain't fixin to join no truckers union or a club where I gotta pay monthly or yearly dues unless it's a real deal where the power of the numbers can change the course of a free fall. Other than that, I stand alone .

kenn2632 and brian991219 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.