Insurance question for owner operators...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by questions54, Mar 27, 2017.

1. questions54

questions54 Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Hello,
    Im a little new to the trucking business, just a question....

Owner operators, when you start working for a trucking company.... what kind of insurance do you need to have and what kind of insurance does a company need to have in order for you to work there? Are you responsible for the insurance? (cargo, liability, bobtail....and so on? or are they....

I just know my friend owns a trucking company and they have insurance for their truck... they are also hiring a few owner operators in a few days... and when he was talking about insurance... he said that they are adding the truck and trailer to the companys insurance..... but the driver pays for that.

Basically the driver pays them and they pay the insurance company.

Basically I'm confused if the owner operators pay for their own insurance... because the company is only taking 5% off each load.... and thats it.

sorry if this is a stupid question. just interested in this stuff.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Depends

Now you have 52 more questions to figure it out

Kenworth 4life Thanks this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    They can charge 10% of the revenue and you pay for everything, or they can charge 20-30% all inclusive. Depends...

5. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    Most of the time you will be responsible for dead head bobtail insurance and non trucking liability. The carrier carries the cargo, general and auto liability. That as previously stated will either be a percentage or a flat rate. I pay percentage of the load for the right to work and flat rate on insurance. Witch I prefer my carriers insurance is less than 2% of my weekly gross.

6. bulldawg trucker

bulldawg trucker Medium Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I just had to get non trucking and physical damage. $2400 for the year. Everything else is covered under the agreement with the company I am leasing on with. All depends on your agreement and contract. Lots of ways to do it. That is why it is so hard to compare one owner op company to another. You don't know until you talk to them and see the contract.

7. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    For the owner operators that work under me, my agreement pretty simple, you get 90% of linehaul, 100% of eveything else and you pay the actual cost of the auto liability and cargo, physical damage you can shop for our opt in for what I offer, but you're paying actual cost on it as well. I don't require non-trucking liability/bobtail yet because you're already covered under the auto liability policy. All non-trucking liability does is put the liability of an accident you caused during the rare instance you're not furthering my business on you instead of the auto liability policy of my company. The big catch with that, is how do you determine when you're not furthering my business? I only have 2 trucks right now so that might change when I add a couple more owner operators.

I also require that you have owner occupational insurance as well but you can shop that one if you want or opt in to what I offer.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    When I was leased on to a small outfit, I paid everything there was to be paid as if you were an independent except cargo and liability that they provided. I had to have physical and non trucking liabilty and the cost was about 2.5 a year and they required me to buy the occupational insurance, which they provided for 200 a month.
    i know some carriers will want you to chip in for their cargo and liability.

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    if they take 5% and you have to pay for their cargo/liability then it is not such a bad deal provided they are well established and have good paying loads. If they work off load boards only, you pay them for dispatching service basically, which is a little high.

10. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    From what I have seen with other small carriers, less than 100 trucks, 5% is dang near unheard of, not that many carriers offer 10% unless you have your own trailer and good chance you're paying all of the insurance costs as well, 15-20% seems to be the most common I see. With that, half the carriers in that range are asking you to pay some of the insurance cost along with other charges and at rate, all they are doing is providing you access to the load board and you'll most likely be paying for a trailer rental on top of that. At least that is what I have seen from my research and talking with quite a few other cmall carrires.

11. Drake.r

Drake.r Light Load Member

May 15, 2015
    I carry my own bobtail and non trucking policy and twice a month I'll pay 600 out of my settlement check for the companies cargo liability

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.