Insurance Quote

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Beaver9

Beaver9 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I'm renewing for the third year with Progressive. I didn't get a bad quote. But before I make a final decision just checking if I can get a bit cheaper.

I'm waiting for a quote from Northland. But my agent told me that I need to submit the total miles driven in the past year. She asked for a copy of the Ifta filing. I sent her only the first page from every quarter showing total miles driven in each quarter. She said she needs the breakdown of the states. Isn't it weird?
    Did you have your insurance agent asking for the breakdown?

People take the time to learn what lanes work etc. Since they are helping other drivers why would you provide the info? Or not?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Lot's of miles in certain states will cause a higher premium.

4. Beaver9

Beaver9 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    That is for IRP, right?

For insurance, you give the mileage. Weird, nobody asked for the state breakdown before?

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Different states have different accident rates, same as some city's. The more you travel in them, the higher your rate is. No different from the state you're based in.

jbatmick, Beaver9 and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    My agent asked for ifta reports last time I renewed , quick email and renewed the next day .

Midwest Trucker and Dino soar Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    All of the quotes that I ever got they always ask for your ifta mileage per state.

If they are writing the policy they want to know where you are going.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Totally normal. Progressive is so high they probably assume worst case across the board so IFTA per state doesn’t matter so much. Especially since they know where home base is.

Siinman and Beaver9 Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    @Beaver9, I am sure they ask for IFTA quarterly reports - MFUT 15 - they have all the info they need. If you're out of Illinois, you can find them at your mytax.illinois.gov account.
    I am requested to do the same every time at the renewal.

I won't be surprised if Northland can give you a better quote than Progressive. That's a top insurance too.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    What that’s all about is your average radius from home base. The bigger radius you run the higher the quote. FWIW progressive asks the agent what you run they pick from unlimited to 100 miles. I have seen an accident out of the paid radius cause a ruckus when they want to see your ifta filings to determine you stayed in your radius 85 percent of the time. Don’t be so paranoid they are not asking for top secret info

Beaver9 and haycarter Thank this.
  11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    It's normal to be asked for your IFTA. It's so they can look for ways to raise your rates. I get quotes every year and some ask for it but some don't. I've never given my IFTA reports to any insurance company so they're not a requirement.

I agree with you, my lanes are private business information so I'm not comfortable sharing that with them. If you have a mileage band type policy then IFTA reports shouldn't even be asked for IMO.

Look into Great West too. They've been pretty good with me.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted