Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Thetrashnoob, Jan 26, 2020.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I would go lease on to someone for awhile before paying 20k insurance for 1 truck.

clausland, JPenn and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My insurance requested copies of my IFTA quarterly reports, for last year. That’s something new. Usually just list a few major cities traveled through regularly. Only ran 68k last year. That should help keep an increase minimal, I would think. They said it was a new standard, for quotes. I wonder

jamespmack and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    That’s odd, ooida said they did write for ma but my call got disconnected half through and I didn’t have time to fall back. Great west doesn’t do ma? Or you needed experience I forget which it was
    Cargo was actually the cheapest and the auto was the most expensive (5k vs17k) Im in central mass. I still am waiting on a few places for quotes, quotes seem to take forever

5. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Through progressive i pay 5500 bucks a year for 1 million and 1 million. 2 total. Im a local hauler though. leave house at 630am and pull back in by 4 every night. Living the dream. You OTR guys sure do get raped come insurance time

lester Thanks this.
  6. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    While I think leasing on would be a good idea. I’m not sure how easy that would be to do without the verifiable experience

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That includes trailer and cargo?

What year is your truck?

8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Progressive has been doing that with me the past 3 years. Good way for them to keep the insured honest about where they travel and how many miles they report.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Chubby Fly

Nov 25, 2019
    HEy man, i sincerely appologize for not clarfying, 2002 pete 379. I have cargo insurance and combination on triaxle dump. Started my trucking bussiness 3 years ago. Started off with 7500 dollar premium, the next year it went down a grand. Then i just paid in full again a few months ago and my premium went down another thousand dollars. I had to call my agent to make sure something wasnt changed on my policy. IT was all good. They just kept lowering my rates. I even had an accident over the summer where some crazy old lady failed to merge and ran into side of my truck. Then tried to sue my insurance for medical expenses 6 months after the fact.

Rideandrepair and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  10. Chubby Fly

Nov 25, 2019
    i guess once you start crossing state lines insurance companies just go ahead and double the rates

jamespmack and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for clarification.

I'm OTR with a 2015 truck, 2016 dry van trailer with 100k cargo.

I'm right at $7200 a year. Now that my trailer is paid off and lender is removed, I'll probably just have collision on it and my premium should drop.

PE_T and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.