Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jasonar15, Dec 20, 2017.

1. truckingagent

truckingagent Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2018
    understood. you got some credit for prior insurance, progressive will actually do that if you just have regular personal auto insurance too. but you are still a new venture when you get your own authority

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pup97

Pup97 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Well 20 k I could handle it's the 45 that is way out of my league.

4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    First off Progressive is not very friendly, part of the reason Im am not with them. My agent was more informed than their commercial expert. However they did not what so ever consider me a new venture. Because they were not taking new ventures at the time. They considered it a policy change, and I changed business name too. I dont care what you are saying, this happened. I have recommended this to others and they have done it. Now maybe you are unsure about this, or you have never experienced this, but it can be done. I spend 0 time taking NO for answer. There is a difference between no we cant do it, and no we dont want to do it.

5. truckingagent

Jan 10, 2018
    Yeah Progressive is kind of wonky and will let you do a lot of weird things. But rest assured, that is an absolute NO with anyone else. You would be considered a new venture, lik
    that's fine. i didn't say that they didn't do that for you. Progressive will do some wonky stuff, so nothing surprises me. And maybe they do that. But in general, as with every other insurance companies (the ones that actually wright trucking insurance, not Progressive who writes it on a commercial auto) NO you can't do that. You will take that as the answer, because thats the way it is. But if you do give that advice maybe steer them directly to your agent, cause it sounds like you think that you discovered some secret "they" didn't want you to know, and now your spreading it around like it's actual fact

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I spoke with Progressive several times.

I thought $15,000 is too much. Maybe barebones with almost no coverage at all I could get it down to 13 but it's still too much not interested.

Although Progressive did tell me several times if I had prior insurance coverage on the vehicle that would affect the rate.

You guys can argue about what that means but that's what they told me.

7. truckingagent

Jan 10, 2018
    y
    that's exactly how it works

8. Mcjweb1

Mcjweb1 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Who is your insurer

9. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Progressive Commercial

10. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Doesn't matter what you think the truck is worth. It's book value and market value that will determine what they will pay. The ELD law drove the market prices up for pre-ELD trucks so people pay more for them, but wreck it and the insurance company can total it for a busted up hood which happened to my buddy. He bought the truck back from the insurance co and fixed it himself. Has a salvage title now though.

11. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I was talking to a guy that parks at the same lot I do today. He has a 6 month old authority, running 4 trucks. He said his insurance was 18k per year per truck. He was installing forward facing windshield cameras, and side view mirror cameras on them. He said his insurance company was making him install them or they were going to cancel him.

Anyone else heard of Insurance companies requiring this?

TallJoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.