Insuring a second truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by spax, Mar 27, 2017.

1. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Ok question for you all is if you have a second truck sitting around, say as a spare or whatever, how do you keep it insured? I checked with my insurance company today and they said it'll double what I already pay for liability. I can understand extra for physical damage and such. I'm only one guy and can only drive one at a time so I'm at a loss as to why that would have to double.

Surely some of you have a spare around. How do you manage, or, do you just pay the big price for two?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    If the insurance companies know you own other truck in your name. They want to insure for it. The rip off scam. I had to show them it was no longer in company name. As you explain to them it's your back up in case you have trouble with one of your trucks. Anyway to take advantage of the little guy. I just put in a friend name's until needed. It's all about them getting money

RollingRecaps and spax Thank this.
  4. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I'd shop it, I have two trucks. I'm in one, driver in the other. My insurance did increase with the new one, but defiantly not double.

spax Thanks this.
  5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Yea mine is no where near double as said I would shop around. I am not sure this is still possible but several years ago I could sign a waiver saying it wasn't used. If I needed it swap insurance from one to the other before moving it. The way things have changed I'm sure Thats no longer possible

spax Thanks this.
  6. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    No longer possible crooks have gotten wiser

wore out Thanks this.
  7. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    My original plan was to sell my newer truck and just run the old one but as the time nears I don't really want to sell my newer truck if I don't have to. I started checking into it because I thought I'd keep the old truck for closer runs and local stuff and of course as a spare if needed. Leave it to insurance to take the fun out of something.

I did start shopping around also but I got the same answer. It still makes no sense to essentially be paying for two liability policies when I can only drive one at a time. I guess where I'm hung up is I could see it of I was adding a driver as well, essentially doubling their liability. For what they want for both I could be making a payment on a brand new truck.

wore out Thanks this.
  8. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    So why doesn't your friend need to carry insurance on it?If you were going to have to.And how are you going to use it if you need to?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  9. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    never heard that same risk for second truck as the first who is your insurance company.Ive talked to several same price for every truck you ad on is common.

10. Pepper24

Dec 3, 2010
    Don't know what you do that you need a spare truck seems more of a headache then profitable.Do you keep a tag on it if so your probably have to keep insurance if your dropping the tag every time you don't need it then reapplying or transferring tags back and forth seems like a big headache to me

11. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Times are rapidly changing, truck & health insurance rates are literally out of control and escalating to the point of being fiscally unobtainable by most. The way I see it, somethings gotta pop soon, maybe time to sit back and watch the show. We can't keep going the way we're going much longer. I sense something in the wind.....

spax Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.