Intense Downgrade Experience for Trainee

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by x1Heavy, Aug 27, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are ABS which operate too fast for a human to physically keep the wheel turning. You take the service brake to the floor and leave it there. There will be a whole lot of buzzing and maybe alarms but you will have some form of steering and so on.

There are two forms of braking on the mountain you can call it snub but most call it stab which was being correctly used more or less. The other form is thermal braking where you put on just enough application to gain just enough speed control and bleed off the gain in temperature with airflow theoratically you can do this a while. Particularly if you have snow or rain to help cool it. At some point it will reach thermal overload and begin to fade, glaze etc and you will smoke. (Beyond it's ability to stop now, leave off them and drift while maintaining air flow between pads and drums. never stopping for about two hours or so until they cool that means about 30 to 35 with 4 ways on even when it's flat)

I prefer to use jacobs all the way down and no braking whatsoever, ensuring it's cold and ready for action when you really need it.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    My trainer was the same way.
    No joke on the hills.

Especially i70after you get to the top to Eisenhower tunnel west bound.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You would have loved the old Allegheny eastbound on the PA Pike in ice. Come in rain on the west end come out on top of a downgrade winding on ice. SURPRISE!

I am not sure if they changed the geometry or approaches to that tube in some way in the last few years or so.

5. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Good post.
    Dead on info and accurately explained.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.