inter-lock diff only

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MoJazzn, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MoJazzn

MoJazzn Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    looking at new truck do you think that Inter-lock diff and full locking dif are both necesssary on 66k tri axel dump? the truck has inter-lock dif, not full 4 locking diffs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    All depends on what you plan on using it for.... Ive only ever had 1 truck with full lockers, and it was nice... But it was used to get off road and through very deep mud and water to deliver liquid fertilizer into the center of an irrigation pivot... Aside from that I've rarely even needed interlock outside of getting under heavy trailers in icy conditions.

Lepton1 and MoJazzn Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    If you’re going to be in sand, gravel and mud. Full locks on all drive axles would be a necessity.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Anything less than full locks is a travesty.

I don't know what my mixer had but in our hills sometimes that sky is the only way off it.

6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Definately agree, in the mud and sand, nothing like full lock, except maybe a D6 with a cable.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I would never touch a dump truck without full lockups. Actually I'd never touch any truck without full lockers.

Crude Truckin' and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I have been driving in the oil patch going on four years, starting out driving another man's truck then buying my own. Both trucks only have a power divider, no full lockers. A handful of times I came close to "calling momma" (tow truck or bulldozer). Each time I managed to power through the Oklahoma mud with the consistency of a three year old's snot. Last time it was REALLY touch and go whether momma needed to come to the rescue.

I have determined that were I to stay in this line of work, then ideally I would like separate lockers for each axle. I have been blessed with the opportunity to drive customer trucks in our drive away program. ALL oil field companies at LEAST have full lockers. The best spec separate lockers for each axle. It makes a huge difference if you can only lock the front axle, so you have some ability to turn. Engage both if you are powering through axle deep mud.

Another aspect of traction is the kind of drive tires you get. Get something with really deep tread and an "open shoulder" (tread cut into the edge of the tire). That makes a really big difference. Some companies use that kind of tire, others seem to slap any old deep tread on and THOSE are by FAR the worst. We had EIGHT drive away drivers get stuck in the mud WITH full lockers in the same 1/4 section of muddy road. None of them had open shoulder tread.

uncleal13 and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.