Interested in Expediting

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 1989 Pete, Apr 10, 2010.

1. 1989 Pete

1989 Pete "Pine Tree Eater"

If I decided to do this with a straight truck are there any age limits on vehicles.or better yet how do one get started on this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dle

dle Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    ennis,tx
    The age of the vehicle? As far as I know it depends on the carrier you sign with?

Or are you planning on getting your own authority and try this completely alone?

Go thru this topic and read the entries.

4. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    most say 5 years or newer

1989 Pete Thanks this.
  5. 1989 Pete

1989 Pete "Pine Tree Eater"

I wanted to go with Panther....How much money would I need upfront I can get a decent straight truck 99-05 range ...Does it need to be 26ft? How much is the insurance for this in logging we have to have a million dollar policy...I just need to know everything I am somewhat quite serious about this

6. Dynasty Carriers

Dynasty Carriers Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2010
    los angeles
    we are on the same page,im looking to get going soon but want to know how do i take the right steps from 1,2,3,4,5,6 at getting started and then finding loads?

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  7. dle

dle Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    ennis,tx
    Dynasty and 1989 how much OTR driving experience do you have?

I'm guessing that you both have no experience in expediting. The most common and safest recommendation for someone wanting to get into expediting is that they drive for a fleet owner first, so you can find out what expediting is like. It is different from truckload trucking. BTW, i've been on both sides of the street.

Right now we drive for a fleet owner, driving a straight truck.

8. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    You would have ins. with who you sign on to. with express-1 the truck ins.for a 07 is 44.75 week and workman is 25.75 they pay for cargo. if you go out on your own, you would be brokering less than truck loads (LTL) and that does not pay much.

9. uncommon_belief

uncommon_belief Light Load Member

May 23, 2009
    Ohio
    You don't have to take LTL with a straight truck... you can take full van loads.

A lot of people use the straight for partials, but it's not necessary. My advice is to hunt for a lane that runs by your house... you might still be up a lot of the night, but at least when you do sleep, it's in your own house.

We just started this local deal and my driver made $1199 last week. Got 12 loads in 6 days done. He'd been miserable in a straight truck cause he only got by his house twice out of the 5 nights he was under a load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.