intermittent starting issues

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jazzedman, Nov 18, 2019.

1. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    I've a 2012 IC Corp. (International) school bus with intermittent starting issues. When turning the ignition key, at times the bus will either turn over right away, or hesitates before turning over. It will hesitate anywhere from a 1/2 a second to 1 minute 10 seconds (This was the longest delay, and I let go of the key after the minute then turned again and it started after the 10 seconds). The customer replaced the starter relay before bringing to us. After some diag time I decided to try a new key switch, this however did not work either. Scratching my head now. Anybody have any experience with something like this? For the customers sake I hope its not the ECU!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Had a 2013 Western Star do this. Changed the whole starter and it went away

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Please post VIN and engine type.

This sounds like an extended crank issue, correct? It does always crank and not start, right?

I would be troubleshooting the fuel system. Have you monitored pressure with scan tool while cranking or installed a mechanical gauge? This is where I would begin.

5. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    If it’s not cranking all, it sounds like a 39MT Delco starter. In my experience the brushes are sticking in it. More than likely the nose housing has let the planetary gear outer ring wear down into the housing. Depending on how cheap you want to work, you could probably replace the nose housing and the brushes and have it good as new for @ $100 in parts and 30-60 min of labor.

You might be able to confirm this by setting the conditions where is would mess up and smack the bottom of the starter with a hammer. If it works without hesitation, this is more than likely the problem.

spsauerland and uncleal13 Thank this.
  6. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    The only thing holding me back from changing the starter is that when I use my (Snap-On) starter button, it doesn't hesitate. It turns right over. Every time. I would think that if it were the starter it would hesitate no matter if I was using the ignition switch or my starter button?
    No, it'll start, it's just that at certain times it will hesitate in cranking. Sometimes it's a slight delay, other times it can last up to a minute or longer.

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Modern Detroit's when you turn the key, the key switch sends a signal to the ECM that you want to start the truck. The ECM then sends a signal to the start relay when it figures all data indicated that it is safe to start.
    Maybe the ECM is detecting a parameter that isn't ready for engine start up. Such as transmission in neutral.
    Or a bad wire some where.

8. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Bench tested the starter, no problems. It never hesitated on the bench, no matter how many times I did it. The bus will always start, it's just that sometimes it will hesitate before cranking. As long as minute or more. For the life of me I can't figure this one out! Hoping someone seeing this has fought this same problem.

9. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    It probably never will fail on the bench, there's no load on it.

Check the ring gear for defects, make sure there's no messed up teeth on it and that it's round and straight.

If the engine is computer controlled there may be a timed protection circuit of some kind that calls for a rest period before trying again.

There might be a dead spot on the armature.

The solenoid might be weak.

You may have a bad ignition switch that's intermittent or has a quirk.

Check the battery terminals for carbon build up and carbon arcing.

Check the battery(s) to.
    I've seen new batteries with loose plates that would short out intermittently and do similar to what you are describing.

Does it happen when the engine is hot and cold?

Just throwing some ideas at you.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You gotta break out the multi meter. Check if there's power even getting to the solenoid and check that there's power getting into the starter. No power? Keep working backwards until you find the power.

Luwi67 Thanks this.
  11. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    Yes, and if you are working alone you can prop up the multi meter and your cell phone to record the readings with the video camera.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.