Intermodal Jacksonville FL

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by FireFighter_02, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Asphalt Anarchy

Asphalt Anarchy Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've done it out of Atlanta. I lasted two months because it was an hour commute for me. So, two hours a day traveling to and from the truck and no where to sleep when I was too tired to drive home. The money was good. Not $67k good. I was on track for an easy $60k but that's with a few years driving for Schneider already. Maybe if you live very close it'll be good for you because you won't be doing your 10-11 hours driving. You'll be running out the 14 every single day. I much prefer the regional runs. A lot less scheduled appointments and a lot more get there when you get there windows.

If you have any other specific questions I know the intermodal gig in and out. I haven't actually been to Jacksonville but I've been in most other rail yards Schneider runs in the SE. The job is easy and easy to learn if you already know how to drive. It's really too #### easy after a year. Boring enough that I switch it up and go on the road every so often. Only issues I ever have is with the lazy ### rail people. But they're all pretty much automated out of a job at this point.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    FireFighter_02 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Trip

Big Trip Bobtail Member

May 12, 2012
    Kansas City, KS
    Many years ago, I ran intermodal primarily from the Phillips Hwy yards and the Edgewood Ave. - Kings Road yard. All drop and hook. Ran within a 130 mile radius of Jax. Not terribly hard work but you won't get rich either. Being home everyday was a plus.

Moved to NC and my first job was intermodal - nothing like working in Jax. Horrible employer, horrible staffs at the rail yards, etc. in the Charlotte area. The intermodal company in question went out of business long ago and I actively avoid the local railyards, one of which I carried a handgun for self protection.

4. FireFighter_02

FireFighter_02 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    Well since Florida Georgia and SC reciprocate CCP I will carry as well, I’m sure company policy will dictate other wise but it’s concealed carry for a reason. I’m thinking about giving this a try, I just wonder what I’m getting into. As far as hours, pay, and treatment. I ran a dollar account with a big blue company and was treated like scum from the bottom of a barrel.

Big Trip Thanks this.
  5. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    So the first recruiter told me once I got my twic and hazmat I’d be good to go and offered a paid refresher and everything. Today a different recruiter calls and tells me I’m not qualified and the only thing they had to offer was OTR. Told them I was no longer interested in working for their company.

Big Trip Thanks this.
  6. Asphalt Anarchy

Asphalt Anarchy Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Atlanta, Ga
    That's too bad. I know they're hurting for drivers. Ive never once been asked for my TWIC and I go months without touching a hazmat load. That recruiter is on crack. JB Hunt is the king of Intermodal anyway. Might give them a try. I almost did and their pitch sounded just as good as Schneider's. Swift is building their Intermodal game but it's Swift so... Hub Group seems alright too but they use the crappy rail chassis.

FireFighter_02 and Big Trip Thank this.
  7. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    JB doesn’t offer anything where I’m at. Only thing I can find with my experience that’s home daily is Walmart dedicated with Werner.

8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Sni has a no firearms policy..fyi...just so you know

FireFighter_02 and Big Trip Thank this.
  9. Big Trip

Big Trip Bobtail Member

May 12, 2012
    Kansas City, KS

I think every company has a 'no firearms' policy for liability reasons. Back when I did intermodal in Jax (30 years ago), people wearing side holsters wasn't uncommon.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  10. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.