Intermodal Questions

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by SBA, Mar 21, 2018.

1. SBA

SBA Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I am relatively new to the field and trying to get a good grasp of how intermodal works and how best to use it. I've had a hard time finding definitive answers online so thought I would ask here.

Are the rates generally competitive with trucks in long haul ?
    How much do the rates depend on contract vs spot and then volume ? ie. would it make sense to ship intermodal via spot rates at lower volumes.
    How easy is it to book? Would I need to shop around for an IMC?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Are you a shipper or broker?

As every segment of trucking right now, there's a capacity crunch. Most companies either work directly with a steamship line or a customer directly for ocean containers. For domestic containers, there's only a handful of choices and it's all contract.

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    $1 a mile stuff around here, + FSC... Where are you located?

5. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    That's not what the company is charging, that's what they pay an IC.

6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Yep, but he did not quite clarify what he is. Just assuming an IC, or should I say a lease operator.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    That was my first gig as an O/O, hauling Pigs, Cans, amd LTL...... Checks where there every week. Paid of my first truck and move on to better things. The problems was, the better things where there all along while I was scraping from the bottom of the barrel.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  8. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I scratch my head when I see these guys dragging those, in many cases, death traps down the road. They pay around $1.20 a mile around here, with FS. I know what it costs to run my paid for truck, and that does not cut it. Not even close, and their trucks show it. See them pulled over quite a bit. Not worth it to me, even on a bad day.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I pull cans out of Cleveland Ohio. Some weeks gross 2.00 per mile. Average 1.50. Not to many issues, but tires leave a lot to be desired. Home most every night. I average 84000 miles a year.

JJKid and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I pull cans out of Cleve Oh also. Average bout the same $. Even the miles. Tires are the worst part..shouldn't be allowed on the highways. I stress out in warm months with motorcycles riding beside my trailer!

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I would find a company that will pay you a high percentage of what they charge for the load, not a per mile. Most companies that I've heard of want you to be a lease operator, and are paying 75% to the truck, I know of other companies paying 90% to the truck all plus FSC.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.