Intermodal???

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Cbake84, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Cbake84

Cbake84 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Missoula, Mt
    Ive got two years driving experience and would like to buy a truck and drive intermodal, anyone done it or is doing it? I could use some insight and guidance on if its a smart decision and what company's are good and who to stay away from. thanks in advance for the help!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Find out how much they pay for fuel surcharge. If they are going to send you through mountains were fuel mpg will be horrible. I only run Florida and the family guy that owns the company has been in the business for years so im in a good place. Two years is good with clean license and get your TWIC port pass. Easy job, just depends where you are going to work. Just know that Florida, New York ,New Jersey, Savannah Georgia and the Carolinas port are preparing for the first mega Panamax Container ship after the Panama Canal expansion that citys like new york have to raise their arch bridge to reach the port. Those ships will carry 18,000 containers. So that container business is very attractive, but you have to know that right people.

4. Cbake84

Nov 27, 2011
    Missoula, Mt
    thanks driver of the year, im looking to move back to florida so hopefully i can find a company that will allow me to earn and hopefully not run the mountains, i can go without another winter in the rockies. Do you have any companies you might suggest that could be good?

5. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    It's not bad i do it in Minnesota, you won't get rich doing it but ull make ends meet with the correct company.

6. Cbake84

Nov 27, 2011
    Missoula, Mt
    yeah, i dont need to be rich just need to provide for the family. i didnt know there was much intermodal goin on in mn, you run to chicago?

7. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    Nope 100 air MN only. Intermodal is very big here in the cities. We have bnsf and the cp here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.