international ac problem

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by IanG, Sep 26, 2015.

1. IanG

IanG Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    02' 9200i, all new ac system, worked great and now have lost electric power all way from the compressor to the relay behind glove box. All of the other relays and fuses have power and are working except for this one. Any suggestions on where this relay gets its power from or were to look for maybe a fuse link? SO MANY WIRES!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I'm not an expert but that TRI something switch on the firewall controls the power to the clutch on the compressor. The cap on top is a ##### to get on. Try turning on the AC then push down on the top where the switch is and see if it starts the compressor.

IanG Thanks this.
  4. IanG

IanG Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Thank you, I will see if I can find this and give it a try!

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    There are two relays that are involved in sending power to the a/c compressor. The first relay is called "A/C control relay" and sends power forward when the a/c switch is turned on in the dash. Power for this relay comes from breaker F1-B, 10 amp. After that the second relay is called "Air Condition". Power to this relay must go through the freeze switch or thermal switch first. In order to help you better, which relay are you specifically talking about?

6. IanG

IanG Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    The ac control relay and the breaker are working. The air condition relay is dead, no power to any of the wiring to this relay.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, the air condition relay is a bit tricky. Power is normally routed straight through it from 30 to 87A to power the compressor clutch. When this relay is triggered from 85 it actually kills power to the compressor. Having no power at 85 is actually good because this is normal. If you have power at 85 it means the high or low pressure switch has tripped. In between the ac control relay and air condition relay is that freeze or thermal switch mounted near the evaporator. You should have access to it if you remove the side filter cover. The freeze switch has a sensing probe lead that goes into the evaporator core and is mounted near by. You should be able to see two wires connected to it. If you jump the two and the system starts to work you know your freeze switch is no good. If you jump it and still nothing then you have a wiring problem somewhere.

IanG and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  8. IanG

IanG Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Heavyd, thanks so much for the help and information! I found the thermo switch and jumped the wires and the compressor worked!! Now for the embarrassing part, so once I did this a buddy came over with ac gauges and said hey man your low on freon, what!! After putting a couple of cans in everything worked as normal. So now I'm off to find the leak, grrr. I suspect the expansion valve with the one bolt holding one the whole block. Anyways, Heavyd I really appreciate your knowledge it has helped a ton!

Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No problem, glad to help! Aren't trucks fun?

dibstr Thanks this.
  10. IanG

IanG Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Oh yeah they are! This is my first truck and I've had it about a year now. The first six months included a shelled tranny (swapped 10 speed for 13), fan clutch, brakes, split in stack, and a few other things. Then the ac locked up 2 months ago... but got it lookin a lot better than it started out. I guess there was a reason it was cheap. It's a good ol' truck though just hoping that I can put some money in the pocket and not under the hood...haha (wishful thinking)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.