International Maxxforce 10 (2010) error code TDC - SPN164 FMI 1

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by theshepherd, Jan 17, 2019.

1. theshepherd

theshepherd Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I thought I had posted a reply.. hmm..

anyway, that test was done with the engine at 190. I ran it until it started shutting itself off; restarting it about three times. the oil hose was so hot I couldn't even touch it.

2. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry, I missed that. At this point your pump appears to be healthy. You must have a leak under the rocker cover. High pressure oil rail injector adaptors have a nipple with an o'ring on them that are common to split and erode to cause pressure loss. Usually pressure drop-off like yours is a bad pump. Under valve cover leaks normally cause hard or no starts when hot. Again, like I said, ICP diag can be frustrating, LOL!

spsauerland Thanks this.
  3. theshepherd

Jan 17, 2019
    So fast pressure drop-off, one solution could be a faulty HPOP? Should I just change it anyway? I mean is it really that difficult :(.

It always starts great with no problem.

Rocker cover... you mean where all the icp sensor is and all that?

I read about checking for leaks from the injectors with a shop air compressor. I'm not sure how to do that test either though xD''' the injectors themselves are brand new, as are the oilet inlets and their seals.

But as you can tell, as much as I love learning a lot of this is new to me so I may have done something wrong.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No, it will not hold pressure. Once you de-energize the IPR it allows it to drain to the pan. If you have new injectors and adaptors and you are confident there is no leaks inside, then you could change the pump if you want. It is possible the oil inlet to the pump itself has some debris in it causing this. At this point, it is worth a try to pull it off and look.
    FYI, for checking under the valve cover for leaks, you remove the rocker cover, unplug all 6 injectors and have someone crank the engine for 20 seconds while you watch for any oil flowing from the injectors or icp sensor or engine braking if it has it.

theshepherd Thanks this.
  5. theshepherd

Jan 17, 2019
    out of curiosity whats a normal pressure drop-off time?

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Seconds in my experience.

theshepherd Thanks this.
  7. theshepherd

Jan 17, 2019
    I don't see any oil draining from any of the injectors.. or anywhere at all. I had someone crank it for a good thirty seconds or so.

Do you know of any instructions on removing the HPOP?

I've been googling and youtubing... I haven't found anything yet. Once ( if ) I get it running I've been thinking of making some tutorials in case others that don't know anything like me want to undertake these tasks.

Do you have any other recommendations before I try and figure out how to remove this thing? I was debating driving it to an international repair center but they will probably want like 10k to fix it xD''

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The pump is held on by 4 bolts into the rear half of the front cover. Then it pops out. No special gear timing or anything. Fuel filter module has to come off for clearance.

9. theshepherd

Jan 17, 2019
    What? that simple? those bolts in the back though... ugh. Ok, well I'll swap it out tomorrow and hope it's that ( not really hoping a thousand dollar part is the culprit but it beats having a dead truck )

Heavyd Thanks this.
  10. theshepherd

Jan 17, 2019
    Just thought I'd come back and give the conclusion add a thanks and food for thought in case anybody else comes through reading at some point.

Don't be like me - check the turbo for oil! after replacing it, worked perfect.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.