Internet

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jsphreal, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jsphreal

Jsphreal Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well like right now I have a 14 hour break so it would be nice to play games. I’ve heard about direct tv satellite internet but I’m not sure how good it is. I’m new to trucking but used to play games out home and would enjoy doing that when I have down time and not sleeping.

Smut and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Pricey and sucks imo.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    He does that instead of his job :)

6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My swamper is a gamer, he is a good hand takes good care of me, and does pretty good driving too, learning truck maintenence fairly well, and if he stays long enough, I will see to it he has his own truck, but I have a feeling he will never be able to hold on to even a paid for truck, because of the game habit. which is sad.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  7. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Virtual exercise is the future.
    Or not.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  8. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    What’s a swamper?

Jsphreal Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Helper, does most of my physical labor for me, he is also training to drive,

motocross25 Thanks this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Verizon unlimited data, go with the new 5g if you can. I use 4g and its fine still.

I cannot charge my laptop on the truck. Its a power-hungry Acer Predator Helios 500, newest model. The inverter needs to be plugged directly to the battery, apparently. The charging ports wont cut it.

My codriver can run his Xbox or super station or whatever it is just fine though.

But as far as internet goes, use verizon and tether your phone to the device you need to give access. If the internet is very slow, the culprit might be your cable. Some cables do not throughput data as fast as others. Use the USB cord that comes with your phone.

I tested this at home and was able to play League of Legends with zero lag. Other games may have higher data requirements to play, but I suspect most games will be playable most of the time within reason. Some areas may may ancient cell towers and other towers might be pushed to capacity. But in general as long as you can keep your device powered youll be fine I think.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I recently started getting into racing games. Never interested me before. Bought Project Cars 2, said to myself I got this I drive for a living. Nope I didnt got this at all. Caused a pile up and crashed right into a sign that said "SLOW DOWN".

If I want to race competively I'm going to have to buy a steering wheel and the decent ones cost about 500.00.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.