Interstate Entrance and Exit Ramps - State Law

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Vito, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    common sense dictates every move
    and trip planning
    if you find yourself regularly not near a TS at 10 pm
    you need to look at how your managing your time
    and thinking ahead
    trucking is a game of chess with your hours , shippers , receivers , dispatch and DOT as the opponent

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Sure. I need to go back to school because I just got caught in 3 hour bumper to bumper traffic. Poor planning on my part. I should have learned how to read tarot cards at some point in my life so I could predict traffic nightmares. :biggrin_25522:

IndianaF150, mitmaks, ncmickey and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Emergency is emergency. Everybody has them, this thread is not just about me. Others would probably like to know which states allow this type of parking.

But as for me, the one time I had to do this because of a situation beyond my control, yes, I used the triangles and left my marker lights on all night.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Good reasons not to .
    http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Police-Truck-illegally-parked-in-fatal-accident-4114588.php
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...-car-hits-parked-semi-bursts-into-fl-1/nNBJw/

http://www.tbmlaw.com/personal-injury/verdicts-settlements

6. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    You have to use some common sense, and pay attention to whether or not you can get by away with it.
    Common sense meaning, don't park on a posted ramp, or any in Arkansas, or in a dangerous area, or where your vehicle could be a danger to other traffic.

You can 'plan' all the hell you want, but the real world does not have to give a XXXX about your 'plan'. I guess these firm 'planners' are the ones who block the lanes in the truck stops, or rest areas, parking where they not only block other traffic from getting in or out, but block lanes that eventually empty out? (Like in the rest areas when somebody parks lengthwise behind the row of angled trucks. Usually several trucks leave while that guy is sleeping, and it's difficult to impossible for another truck to use the spaces that have opened up.)

The only 'planning' I'm usually able to do, is to start looking for a parking place maybe an hour before I need to park, and take what I can find, but increasingly, you won't find a spot in some areas....and you can't always predict that.

There used to be more 'unofficial, but OK' parking areas, mostly out west, but they're vanishing, also

7. leftlanegang

leftlanegang Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2013
    denver, co
    Don't care for exit and on ramps but when driving in the northeast almost impossible to find a parking spot in a truck stop. Plus I don't care for the Disneyland like atmosphere in the truck stop. A driver will back in to a spot and release both brakes; as if the tractor brakes can't hold both truck and trailer. Or someone hauling a refer decides to park right next to my rig. And the refer unit is 15 years old and sound like a B-52

Rolling Wave Thanks this.
  8. Rolling Wave

Rolling Wave Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2013
    PHP:
    i
    It should be like that eeverywhere

If the gubberment doesn't want us driving the least they can do is provide abundant parking facilities everywhere

Stuka Thanks this.
  9. Rolling Wave

Rolling Wave Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Don't forget these ######## with APU's that are louder than a motorcycle and the exausht off to the sides blowing back through your vents

They need to find a battery auxiliary power no excuse in this day and age with our modern technology that we need diesel based apu

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
    IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  10. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    at ten pm your going to find a ts with parking,who you kidding,also your parked on ramp and someone hits you they are not on road,their fault,oh thats right this is the nation of nothings my fault its the other guys,remember hot coffee spilled in lap,put the plame where it belongs on the fool driving on shoulder.

IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Drivers thinking of parking on shoulders should be more concerned about being involved in a fatality if hit rather the who is to blame . If it's 10 p.m. or later there are more fatigued drivers that could drift into you .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.