Interstate or Roadrunner?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Alhousseny Gamby, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Learning the game

Learning the game Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    You guys got me thinking twice about investing in a trucking company, I better stick with my Real Estate Appraisal Company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Should have bought USA truck stock three months ago it's up like 50 percent in the last three months better return then babysitting a driver

4. Learning the game

Aug 6, 2017
    Overhead much lower, I've been doing my research for the last 6 months on this trucking business, and Idk, it's bitter /sweet, depending on who you talk to. Some small fleet owners are happy and some are depressed, and want to get out. I'mean still doing my homework from the sideline,

5. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    You have to really know the business to make money managing driver's as a small operator if not you can lose your arse fast ....and it will make you crazy I have a friend with six trucks and his own shop i.be seen the level of stress it brings and it is quite a task to find and keep driver's it will Rob far more time and joy from your life than you are accounting for

6. Learning the game

Aug 6, 2017
    I begining to see, at first I was just looking at it from an investment stand point, like hmm, make a corporation, buy a decent used truck for like $50,000, with a nice warranty like (Platinum 2000, ), find a Carrier to lease it on to, hire a driver, and after expenses maybe clear like $500 week, based on the numbers that I was given from Interstate O/O side. I looked at it like Buying a house for $50,000, and being able to rent it out for $500 a week, which is equivalent to $2000 monthly or $24,000 a year, not a bad return on 50,000,

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I pull 40% of my loads directly through a broker ... I get more, a lot more, than the published Swift rate for rookie lease ops.

Biggest problem with Mercer is the added overhead. Trailer, plates, tolls and Mercer charges about 17% more for collision insurance. Those costs suck up any additional revenue I could make and then some.

I'd like Mercer to be a viable option. But for what I do, it doesn't break even. Much less provide enough additional profit to make it worthwhile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.