Interview for CDL Training

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Turtlelegs, May 25, 2022.

1. Turtlelegs

Turtlelegs Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2022
    My wife and I applied for Home Depot team job. Neither of us have a CDL but this position offers the CAT program to get it.

We applied on Thursday but we didn't have our CLPs yet but we eached talked to a recruiter. They said to call back when we got them.

We got our permits yesterday and called. The woman we talked to tried connecting us with the Home Depot recruiter but they couldn't reach them. Then she scheduled us for an interview on June 6th. We were hoping to get things going a little quicker. On the Schneider Jobs website under our submissions it says "Interview to be scheduled" so I'm not sure if it is actually scheduled or not.

Basically I was wondering if we should try to contact them again or if that would be pestering? Right now we are homeless living with my sister and the faster we know something the better. I've read online that Schneider interviews within 1 to 2 days normally.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I don’t think it’ll hurt calling them even just to get some clarification whatnot..

4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I'm surprised they scheduled it that far out. I applied late one night and they called me and completed the interview the next morning. I agree, it wouldn't hurt to call back at another time and see if you can get them.

5. Turtlelegs

Turtlelegs Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2022
    I called them a little while ago and they interviewed us right then.

Things are looking up.

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Turtlelegs....former Schneider driver here.

Now--I do hazmat tanker duty, hauling fuel in south GA & north FL (but with another carrier).

I started out with them as my first gig, from CDL school (which I did own my own thru a local tech institute).

I ran with them under their OTR and (later) intermodal divisions--almost for 2 years.

Some things about Schneider I think you should know BEFORE you sign up with them.....

Their instructors at the different terminals are known within the company as "training engineers."

I never met one with whom I was not impressed.

They are not only fine examples for the rest of the trucking industry--but to society as a whole.

They were ver-ry professional at all times--and they seemed to all have good personalities, too.

All of them had impressive resumes; & were terrific people in general--not just great truck drivers and instructors.

How Schneider recruits and retains such quality will forever remain a mystery with me; apparently, that job is a true "calling".

But........

if your experience there is anything like mine (and many others, before me)--your time out on the road with a trainer will be VER-RY SHORT.

I was out with a trainer on the road for 4 and a 1/2 days. :confused: :eek:

Then Schneider basically threw me a set of keys, assigned me the relevant tractor....and said, "Go get 'em, Tiger."

And I did (and still do).

While I was (somehow) able to make this work--I simply can't recommend it for most people, in good conscience.

I gather this practice is (still) pretty typical of them.

If you and the Spouse don't think that a week is enough time out with a trainer (and most others will readily agree with both you and me on that)--then I would encourage you at this point to make plans to sign up with another carrier.

Most other carriers will be out with you for 3-4 weeks; that's more typical of what the rest of the industry offers.

I know of one carrier that trains on the road for 10 weeks, even.

Given your situation and where the economy is headed--I would suggest looking at beginning opportunities with either Swift, or Knight Transportation (they are "sister" companies, now)--see the following links for terminal/school locations:

Terminal and CDL Truck Driving School Locations - Swift Transportation

or

Knight Transportation

Having said all that--couples running teams can be VER-RY LUCRATIVE. If the two of you can stay together (whoever said running team was easy--they lied! :mad:), and sock away enough $$$$ (and invest it wisely), you could be looking at retirement in as little as maybe 10 years. :cool::D

--Lual

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  7. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    No doubt Schneider time with a trainer is the shortest in the industry. I was on a trainers truck for only 4 days since I already had a CDL. Students who get their CDL through Schneider are with a trainer for about 2 weeks. Certainly, it's better for people who are quick learners. It is at least training with the trainer in the passenger seat, not team driving. I don't necessarily agree that it's too short, even if it may seem so to a brand new driver.

If the short training time were causing an increased number of accidents or equipment damage, I'm sure Schneider would lengthen it to reduce risk of lawsuits and paying claims. The fact that they have continued to maintain a short training time tells me it must be working for them. In the rankings I've seen, Schneider is the 2nd largest truckload carrier, next to Swift, but I never see any memes or jokes about Schneider drivers doing stupid things. I often see them about smaller carriers. I know that's not scientific proof, but I personally don't think it's a coincidence.

I certainly understand why some people would want to stay with a trainer longer until they're more comfortable, but most of the companies with longer training require team driving with the trainer. I just wanted to get it done quickly and get out on my own.

8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    If you have never driven a commercial vehicle before. That's way too short. Stevens Transport has you out 240 driving hours. You must also do 2 mountains and a NE dock.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can he train in the same truck as his wife, at the same time?
    Schneider and CR England do.

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Members in posts #6 & #7 above both made some very good points, I thought.

Both of them are right--in their own way. I can't touch (or really argue with) what either one has said.

However--knowing what I know now about how Schneider "hatches" new fledgling drivers (see post #5, above :confused::oops:).....if I had it to do all over again--I probably would sign up (and drive) for someone else.

--Lual

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    No. They'd have to run with two separate trainers. Then team after. I was just saying my opinion about the lack of training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.