Interview Wear

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KingpinR, Jun 14, 2018.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Don't pick your nose during the interview. Really. I had a guy do that while I was talking to him.
    He was cool though. He wiped the boogers off on his jeans which were already so crusty that you couldn't tell the difference.
    And no, he didn't get hired.

bzinger and KillingTime Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I wore my Adidas tracksuit to the interview. I got hired on the spot.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    I'm so sorry to hear this, hangin there

KillingTime and bzinger Thank this.
  5. Truckzster

Truckzster Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I’ve seen some really casual dress during interviews. Sometimes people wear the uniform of the company they currently work for. I would suggest wearing what others have stated, clean, presentable clothing that you don’t mind pretripping in.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Actually turning up in a clown suit might cheer some folks up abit seeing everyone in the trucking industry seems to be down and out i may try that idea thanks very much.

bzinger, AfterShock and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  7. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Wanna really see a twinkle in the interviewers eye? Walk in and shake his hand and his assistants hand with you fly hanging open. Speaking for a friend.

GladhandSW and bzinger Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Dress ready to work. Steel toe shoes broken in, good quality belt, long jeans of quality and a decent shirt. A semi formal western look is pretty close. I actually wear a set of Bellevue Summer Tankers USMC Boot. Only that the civilian logo is on the heel specifically to my foot size. and not a military poser or whatever they are called. It's pretty good for general vehicle stuff in the hot weather. I value them.

I had a set of steel toed square toed boots for decades with a slight touch of western on them but plain in design. No worries. They were really useful for truck driving what with the clutch and brake was in those days.

decades ago at DM Bowman Williamsport having just returned from 115 degree Alabama I walked into dispatch with short jeans and a tee shirt and it was a air conditioned roomful of suits, ties, vests and so on to the max. (Apparently the State Governor likes to see that...) I got bawled out proper. While I was being yelled at for show, I had already made the decision to move on. Literally as the yelling went on. You can absolutely lose employees with the wrong culture.

If you show up with flip flops, towels or other stuff that I cannot talk about here anymore, you are not going to make a very good impression. Not for them nor for the burned out eyes of your fellow truckers. You probably will be sent home.

When you arrive at the yard off the Bus, plane or whatever. Go straight to the drivers room if you can find one. Eyeball what they are wearing, and what the staff is wearing, and then dress to look like them.

If you find a chicago money grubbing outfit filled with flip flops and crappy trucks GTFO go home before it's too late.

Oh. It's INTERVIEWS PLURAL. Many people will ask you questions. Answer them. It will go on and on all week.

tucker Thanks this.
  9. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    It’s a trucking company. Nice jeans and a polo. Nothing that you can’t pop the hood and drive around the block in. Don’t overthink it.

Ryan423 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. MICHAEL HENRY

MICHAEL HENRY Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2018
    HERES THE DEAL WHEN INTERVIEWING FOR NEW DRIVING JOB. IF YOU HAVE EXSPERIANCE GOOD YOUR PROBLY HIRED ALREADY AS THEIR IS A SAVEAR DRIVER SHORTAGE IN THIS COUNTRY NOW, DONT RUN YOUR HEAD TOO MUTCH DONT SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT ANY FORMER EMPLOYER. IF ASK WHY YOU LEFT JUST SAY YOU NEEDED TO TAKE YOUR CAREER IN DIFFRENT DIRECTION. SHOW ON TIME OR A LITTLE EARLY (VERY IMPORTANT) IF YOUR LATE THEN YOU MAY HAVE TENDENCY TO DELIVER OR PICK UP LATE. LOOK AS IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR APPEARANCE AS IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF YOU ARE MORE LIKELY GOING TO TAKE CARE OF THERE EQUIPMENT TOO. WHEN ASKED A QUESTION THINK THEN RESPOUND.

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Is your caps lock broken?

Rollr4872, bzinger, Guitar Man and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.