Inverter, how I hate thee

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Derov, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    After 45 minutes of trying to find relevant info, I'm just going to ask:
    • Brand new truck, less than 4k miles.
    • Newer inverter, less than 2 months old - 1500w PowerDrive brand (I know, I know.)
    • Shop installed inverter with low-power kill switch.
    • Has worked fine the last few days.
    I noticed my surge strip was off this morning and checked the connection, only to find the entire inverter off. When I tried to turn the #### thing on, it made a high-pitched alarm with what might have been the letters 'LVP' which I took to mean low voltage. The inverter shut off again. A second attempt yielded a single chirp with no lights. Subsequent attempts at reviving the beast resulted in no lights or alarms. After a few hours, I rallied my hopes and tried again with the same exact results as before. I checked all connections, changed the fuses in the surge line between inverter and battery, all battery connections are greased to prevent corrosion, everything looks to be in order, with the exception of it not working, obviously. Is HAL dead? His life had only just began...

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Was your truck running when you were making all these attempts. How many batteries does your truck have? Are we to assume all your batteries are good? All the connections look good and tight? Your truck always start strong like it has plenty of good voltage/amps?

Derov Thanks this.
  4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    It could be in the kill switch. If you are any electrical inclined Disconnect the kill switch and run power and grounds to the power inverter. If that doesn't work then chances are something has fried inside

Derov Thanks this.
  5. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Truck running, batteries in good condition, 4 batteries and properly connected, truck remains around 14.1v. Inverter acts as if the kill-switch is keeping it from draining the truck batteries when there is no indication that this is a possibility.

6. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    I remember a few years ago my inverter started acting like that and refusing to work. I thought it was toast. Then, a day later, I started smelling sulfur, and I noticed my batteries were melting. It was a Volvo and they don't have a standard volt gauge, so I never noticed the alternator was over charging. I had it replaced, along with the batteries, and the inverter worked great again. I thought it was funny that a $100,000 truck didn't have a voltage alarm, but my $200 inverter knew enough to turn itself off.
    I don't now if that's your problem, but at least it shoes that maybe it isn't the inverter at all, especially when it was working fine before.

Derov Thanks this.
  7. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I had an inverter burn out on me a few years back and the ensuing cancer/aids smoke is something I would definitely remember. All of these posts are beginning to confirm my suspicions.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. wilfredbacon15

wilfredbacon15 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    Just wanna ask, what is the used of that inverter?

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Try powering it up with nothing plugged in to it. Sometimes the right combination of switching power supplies on the output will make cheap modified sine inverters think that there's an error in the output voltage. This will cause them to shut down with an error code. Cell phone chargers and laptop power supplies are examples of switching power supplies. If you still get the error with nothing plugged in, then check the inverter connections to the battery for corrosion and tightness. I had tight connections and they 'looked' clean, but still got a low voltage error. When I actually took the nuts off the connection, there was a thin film of corrosion on both sides of the ring connectors. Removed it with emery cloth and it worked fine again.

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It converts (inverts) battery power to house current so you can use small appliances like a refrigerator, tv, microwave, etc.

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    LVP is Low Voltage Protection so I would make sure you have normal input at the inverter itself using a DVOM or similar tester. That would narrow it down quick whether the problem is the inverter or what's feeding the inverter. They do make bad ones straight off the shelf. I would need pictures to see if there was install issues. Are you saying they installed a low power kill switch separate from the inverter or are you talking about the built in one?

You could of bought a good Cobra for the same price. :biggrin_25522:

tow614 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.