INVERTER ISSUES! UGH! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Batman13, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Might be a bad inverter. If you had a 3000w, now a 2000w. I’d think the cables are thick enough. I’d check to make sure anyway. Make sure they’re good, and a hot isn’t hitting a ground somewhere, especially the hot from battery to inverter, might have a loose connection somewhere in the battery bank, or even a worn or loose hot wire to the starter. Should also clean the the batteries and inverters ground at the frame. The 2000w needs a 200 amp inline fuse on hot at the battery. 3000w probably had a 300 amp fuse if any. If you haven’t changed that, you should to avoid a fire.Read the Owners manual, see if it has a reset procedure. Usually turning off, disconnecting and whatever else it says. I suspected I had a shorted battery, or a bad hot wire somewhere after burning up 3 inverters. They were all new, but 2 were very old display models bought for little. 3 rd one was brand new, bought on eBay for roughly half price. Yep, they got me. I think each one blew a fuse inside. New ones need to be soldered in. My new 2000w has been working great. Fridge stays on always. I run the Truck while making coffee, to avoid draining the batteries. Only have 3 batteries. Volt meter on my Truck isn’t accurate. It shows over 14v Inverter shows volts in and volts out. It shows 13.9-14.0 V in, consistently. Quality isn’t the best on the cheaper inverters.

feldsforever, Speed_Drums and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Wires need to be OFC not CCA, many fakes out there. 3000 watts is about 275 amps and 1/0 OFC wire is needed for that.

Rideandrepair and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  4. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Run new wires. Get a high quality xantrex inverter.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Ok now my 2000 is acting up. Inverters still working. Last time we made coffee, my voltmeter was going down quite a bit, as it turned in and off while brewing. Usually it stays consistent, showing a little bit higher than 14, Now it’s dipping below, like it’s pulling too much juice, or somethings shirting out. I know all my wires are thick enough, and secure. I didn’t use the extra smaller ground wire from inverter to frame, since the ground goes to the frame via battery anyways. I’m wondering why some use an extra ground wire and some don’t. According to the inverter, I’m pulling 14.0 normally, from batteries. This is all while Trucks running. I did turn off headlights, then blower motor, wipers. Still was pulling bolt meter down below 14 the same amount. I’m stumped. Next time I use it, maybe it’ll smoke out like the others did. I’d like to avoid that. Any ideas not already mentioned??

6. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    Bad battery. If they are new, disregard. Maybe get a AGM, put it under the bunk. Shorter wire run is best. That would be my personal solution, 200ah AGM under the bunk wired with an isolator.

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I get my wires from a welding shop

250amp wires....

8. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    If you plan to keep the truck get them from a marine store. Tinned wires don't corrode

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    The 2 sets I have are 2006 and 2011 and no problems so far

10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Thats hard on battery life though..

11. peabody747

peabody747 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2022
    in a 2020 Pete with stupid auto start, just run my cpap machine at night and refrigerator stupid inverter beeps as well, company truck and I'm not planning on staying in it for much longer though

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.