invoicing and getting paid

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ben johnson, Jan 30, 2020.

1. ben johnson

ben johnson Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2019
    all 48
    how do you get paid as an fully independent owner op? been working as a lease operator with a company for years. all i do is scan in the bills and then payroll processes it. i imagine, as an independent, i become my own payroll department. but am i still just taking the bills and scanning them into the shipper that i booked a load with? and then what, i would need an account with them to deposit money into my bank account yeah?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Lol . Aight ima head out

ChromeNut, Badmon, Ruthless and 2 others Thank this.
  4. ben johnson

Dec 31, 2019
    all 48
    why laugh, i’m asking for info. obviously i don’t know so... no stupid questions, but there can be stupid or rude responses. just a trucker looking to learn

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. lsnook24

lsnook24 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2019

This place is full of people like that just ignore that and keep
    Learning. I read alot here and you got alot of people that just aren't nice.

D.Tibbitt, PE_T and S M D Thank this.
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    yes you will need to handle everything. do you have your own #'s and insurance yet. have you paid your 2290 or set up your irp. are you ready to wait 30 60 90 days to get paid from that BOL

ben johnson Thanks this.
  7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Spend $45 join ooida. Then ask the people who do it for a living. What you need, how you do it and how you set it up,

8. ben johnson

Dec 31, 2019
    all 48
    i’m preparing to do all this in september. that’s why i’m finding answers now, so that i can get a heads up on what i need to get in place, how long it takes to process and what to expect. so thank you, i appreciate the help

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

OOIDA has free educational videos online about everything you need to know when running under your own authority. Also look into a podcast called Trucking with Authority. It is no longer running, but there is a ton of information there. The host now has a YouTube channel: U Drive U.

Dino soar and ben johnson Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The reason questions like yours get sarcastic responses is because we get 30 basic questions a day and every one if them has been answered a bajillion times. 10 minutes of searching this or any other trucking site would of answered every one of them. So when we see a post about a basic part of owning a truck it looks like 1 more guy looking to jump into the industry without the motivation to do their own research. Maybe that's not your intent but it is how you (and the others) come off.

And that doesn't even touch on the fact that you are the future competition. Asking us to give you info is like me walking into the local pizza hut and telling the owner I want to open a pizza restaurant next door. Surely he won't mind helping me get it up and running, right?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    ZVar, Socal Xpress, S M D and 3 others Thank this.
  11. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    So any broker I'm hauling loads for will have a email address to send the Bill's. I scan and make a invoice and email them when load is complete. I use a all in one program called Truck Logics , cheap and affordable in the cloud software . The software is very robust but I mainly use it for invoicing. Every one I'm set up with is direct deposit , never had a issue. Some of the old schoolers still fax and use snail mail , it's up to you . Learn all you can before dropping any coin on this business and whatever you think its gonna cost double or triple that number and even than disaster is could be a step away. Good luck .

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    zaroba, D.Tibbitt, Badmon and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.