IRP in Jersey

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by united972, Jan 17, 2022.

1. united972

united972 Light Load Member

May 26, 2016
    I just bought a truck from marketplace and went to get it titled in my name and they said the truck is still registered under irp and they can’t issue title.

anyone had this experience with New Jersey what do I or the seller need to do and where to be able to get it removed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Well, I have zero experience with the DMV in NJ but I'd like think you'll find the answer to your question by asking the DMV in NJ what they need from you to to comply.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    NJ MVC places a lock on any title in the IRP program.

The seller needs to file a supplemental form [used to add, delete and/or any change to the IRP account] deleting it from their IRP account.

Then you will be able to title it in your name and then get an IRP account of your own.

I believe only NJ is anal enough to do this.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Honestly I have to say New Jersey is probably the worst state in the country for dealing with titles.

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    They get you coming and going.

The past three adminstrations raised all the processing fees.

Walk in with the MSO and they quickly notice that a new tractor shows a gross weight of 55000# gross you have to pay to have that raised to 80000# before they do the title.

You pay a bunch more for a title with a leinholder.

Then they lock up the title in IRP and the NEVER tell you about that.

They also fail to tell you that when you get the 'released' title from your financial company; you need to bring it in to have the lein removed in Trenton.

You find this out once you loose the title and go for a replacement to sell it years later and now you need to get the leinholder [or most likely their successor] to fax a letter to the DMV agency so they can have Trenton remove the lein [that was paid years ago] and, in my case, on the third request have the letter also faxed to my office and took it with me to the agency.

Then you trade it in and the dealer lets it go to someone like Arrow and a while later the poor guy who tried to purchase the truck is calling you to delete it from IRP.

Mind you, all agencies are appointment covid only.

IRP and IFTA are only done at Stockton Street agency in Trenton after years of having to go to the admin bulding, 5th floor which was a Royal PITA plus on street parking. This is because these are federal mandated programs and must be performed by state employees instead of the agency people.

The joys of having Penske handle it all....Priceless

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.