is $75 for crossing into Canada worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jabber1990, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Jabber1990

Jabber1990 Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    to be honest i'm shocked my company even pays to cross the border, but thats beside the point

is $75 worth it? I don't like going up there since there are so many scalehouses, also I go up there broke because I have to spend my daily advance on tolls, (not even sure if i'm reimbursed for those)

is $75 worth it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
  4. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    what would be for you?

5. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    150 maybe. Look we make our money running. anything that costs you time is costing you money in lost running time. border crossings can end up taking a lot of time depending on the situation and unless youre going to be a local guy on hourly pay doing this stuff every day Id avoid it period. But then that's just me. Most people avoid what I do like to plague. Try it and if you end up making better money than you can by just driving maybe itll work for you.

6. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    where the hell are you going that costs your daily advance in tolls?
    is the $75 your referring to the cost of crossing the boarder or what your company pays to you as a bonus?
    and there isnt any more scales then you might find in the USA to deter you from coming

American carriers are investing a huge amount in cross border freight. therefor their drivers that can go back and forth are valuable commodities

7. Floorguy1

Floorguy1 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Duluth MN
    Doesn't cost money to come over the bridge by Detroit ?

8. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    Sorry that I confused you

the NY Thruway, and then the $28 to cross the Peace Bridge

and $75 is the bonus for crossing the border

9. oriden953

oriden953 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2012
    winnipeg, MB
    those are both tolls that should be paied back by your carrier. i was reading it like there were so many tolls in canada like wtf. lol

$75 is more then what i get to come to the states so i would take it. crossing at the peace bridge then your comming into southern ontario and theres a TON of south bound freight. remember you are under the same inter-stateing rules that we are so once you deliver you must reload to the USA.

as far as the scales they dont present any extra hassle. study up on canada HOS it has its benefits.

side note:
    double big macs avaible at mcdonals we wont stare at you like a deer in headlights, thx michigan.

10. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    can you please translate 12K 34K into Metric for me please so that I know when i'm safe

and I argued with Saftey once, I asked if I could to an 8-2 Split and instead of answering the question they just tossed the phone around and said "you're under Florida laws, not Canadian laws"..i'm pretty sure that's not true, i'm sure I have to follow their laws

11. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    $75 loaded & empty? Long haul or local? Does your carrier run good equipment? Are they on top of the ball when it comes to paperwork?

If they run long haul, good equipment, are quick with the manifests, & pay both empty & loaded I'd say it is worth it. But only if you go at least 6 times/year. Their rules are a little different so you need to keep them fresh... Otherwise probably not. I mean if you're crossing from Canada into Detroit plan on it taking at least an hour and, rarely, up to 6.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.