Is Adderall ok for DOT Physical

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Yogi4, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Ladyshifter

Ladyshifter Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Anyone needing a job that's in this situation with the letter from a doctor saying your OK to drive and valid me card speak with Tammy at time definite sumterville FL... They will hire you... New drivers as well... I'm not sure about other companies but I know this one will as long as you have those 2 things.. .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HlsPiphany

HlsPiphany Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    East coast

4. HlsPiphany

HlsPiphany Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    East coast
    Hi I read your post from 2009. Did you start driving OTR?
    Did adderall stop you from driving?
    I am looking into a change of work myself. I have ADD and can't imagine not taking my medication. I don't think I could function without it.
    I am looking at team driving with a friend who is already driving OTR.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Which is why you will not find a doctor stupid enough to write such a note.

If you cannot maintain alertness and keep it together without medication as millions do day and night in trucking (As I have for decades) you need not to be in charge of a 40 ton vehicle.

I don't come here to be difficult, it is very important that the trucker has nothing in his or her system so that if something does come up pending a smash they have a clear mind, body and nerves to do something about it correctly and have no trouble at all.

You can give up that medicine completely, finish the withdrawal and be clean in time. Go back on the road and close the chapter on this episode.

If it is stimulants you seek, there is coffee, certain foods, smoking and so on. You can get plenty of it.

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will need to learn to function with out it if you intend on coming out here to trucking. You need to get clean, get clear headed and be ready for a great deal of stressors and so on in this industry. Not everyone is able to do it.

By saying you cannot function with out it means you are unwilling to make permanent changes in your life to remove the problems that put you on the medicine in the first place me thinks.

The human mind and body has a great capacity of function, if you just stop throwing medicines down your throat and get clean. The better it will function. YOU may not like the harsh clear reality of a bad life misspent or problems or stress etc. But you can fix those as well and improve upon it without medicine.

I just finished a episode where a major joint was broken and surgery fixed it. December took hundreds of pills of all sorts including blood thinners and so on. I continue to recieve nursing care here at the house in physical therapy etc for a while. But all of that medicine has stopped finally. Im just on a basic supply for normal existing problems that are degenerative and cannot expect to be DOT medical ever again. (I could probably BS my way past the doc and get one, but that is a form of fraud and knowing certain specific issues it would not be smart. I defeated the high blood pressure once again, so that's fixed, no medicine needed among other things. Things are improving.

The great tragety is that the war on opiates (I am a pain patient) has caused doctors to fear the state more than they are willing to use proper medicines for the purposes they are made for. It is wonderful that I have a amazing tolerance for pain and even if it was so bad that I pass out, that is fine. It will be a better day tomorrow without that trouble once the body resets and we wake up to get going again.

But in order to have that nice improvement with the artificial joint implant, a certain amount of pain has to go with it. That means you are a alive, healing and getting better. It's motivating.

If I can do it, you can too.

7. JPAYNE1980

JPAYNE1980 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I work for Old Dominion Freight line and my buddy here is a driver and he takes Adderall. You need to discuss this with your doctor and the company that you are looking to work for.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. imjasper

imjasper Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2016
    What a crock of ####.
    Adderall for someone with ADD is really no different than a driver requiring eye glasses to see. If a person has been diagnosed with ADD and legitimately uses the drug, it does not affect them like those without ADD. It allows them to function properly like anyone else. Unlike needing glasses or special shoes due to a birth defect or nomad aging of the eyes, ADD effects the chemical balance of your brain. Adderall simply corrects this imbalance.
    If you don’t understand what you’re talking about then keep your mouth shut

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So you sprout this with your very first post.

PDF study focusing on Amp type medicines like Adderall vs FMCSA and Qualification specifcally to drive a CMV you may need a free adobe acrobat PDF reader to get this one.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/MEP Report Draft_22 August 2014(c).pdf

This is FMCSA's explict rule (Regulation) medicines that may or may not impact your ability to drive a CMV and specific medicines that will DQ you from same. There is a small loophole and that is strictly a letter from the prescribing doctor with his full signature and DEA number (All doctors who prescribe carry a specific DEA number) saying that this medicine on whatever dose is safe for you to take while doing CMV. Without that cover letter it becomes a potential DUI situation which will be decided for you by the Law.

What medications disqualify a CMV driver?

Within that page there is a VERY specific sentance.

Start Quote

If a driver uses a drug identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 (391.42(b)(12)) or any other substance such as amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit forming drug, The driver is medically unqualified.

End quote

Now I don't know what motivated you to build a account here with TTR and sprout off like you did discarding all of these resources, within FMCSA, DEA etc etc etc etc as "..a crock of ...

You will do well to pay attention and learn. If it is a problem you seek, it is not here. You have a cry for help kind of situation and I gave you not only information towards the drug in question, but additional pathways you can follow on your own to decide what's what. Remember as a Professional Trucker you must be aware of what is and what is not possible with that CMV.

You do not get to be allowed to just make noise hoping to get a reaction from me. You WILL however have answers to the problems that bothers you.

I hope you find what you are looking for and hopefully you will have a better greeting than ... Aw that is a crock of.... that does not serve you or anyone here.

Remember there are people who are going to be or soon to be truckers and these questions will come up time and again and it does not serve them to have you or anyone try to make a mess of what is supposed to be a orderly path to enlightenment using FMCSA, DOT, CDC and DEA resources for truckers online. And how.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I need some adderoll, so I’ve been told, in the past. Only if it will give me a boost though. I want to be hyper again. I miss that feeling. Now all mellowed out. Tired.No longer need it, I imagine. I wonder if I could pull it off? The thought of taking any amphetime for any amount of time, scares Me though. I saw a special on it. Downright epidemic of College kids and young Executives, stock brokers and the like abusing it in order to gain an edge. Seriously, if needed, I would hope you can still gain employment.

11. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    You can legally take Ritalin and drive a CMV.
    You are required to have your primary doctor write you a letter stating that you are ok to driven that medication.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.