Is advanced technology making backing a truck easier?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by TomCougar, Sep 9, 2019.

1. TomCougar

TomCougar Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    The magnetic cam then would have to be taken off right before the doors come open. How close can I back to the dock with closed trailer doors? I've not been to CDL school yet. I don't know all those backing regs customers impose on drivers. I did not know the dock area was so tightly controlled. Do you the customer specify what kind of dolly the UPS driver in the brown truck must use to deliver your new washing machine to the front door of your home?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Good luck telling shippers/receivers they must follow YOUR rules.
    You will be dealing with a lot of rejected loads.

homeskillet, D.Tibbitt, ZVar and 3 others Thank this.
  4. TomCougar

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    So, who's really "in the driver seat" in dis bidness? Most of these customers won't know an S cam from a DIPSTICK.I LIKE THE DROP-AND-HOOK CONCEPT OF DIS BIDENSS: ONCE THE TRAILER IS CUT LOOSE, IT'S their BABY!

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Do us all a favor, don't even bother with trying to drive a truck. Most of the doors on the back of trailers are aluminum, good luck with your magnet. It's not that difficult to learn how to back up, and honestly if you can't figure it out without a camera you don't belong in a truck.

homeskillet, D.Tibbitt, Tb0n3 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. radioshark

Nov 19, 2012
    Have you ever actually dealt with the people on the docks in dis bidness?
    Most could care less whether or not they ship or receive the stuff.

homeskillet, D.Tibbitt, Tb0n3 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. TomCougar

Sep 4, 2019
    Lawton, OK
    The cam could clip on the door handle then? A couple pieces of duct tape? Silly putty?

8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    for me about 80=100 feet before I even do my setup
    so in other words you don't know sheet about anything.... your going to just pi$$ off every driver waiting for you to spend 1/2 hr of my time waiting for you to f around with your stupid camera...… you think a customer is going to be happy that you are making everyone (drivers (truck and forklift) wait for you to fool around with it..... BTW when YOU do a live unload the customer will TELL YOU witch dolly or pallet jack you can and can not use...….

when you learn how to drive and BACK a truck them you can put your big boy pants on

homeskillet, D.Tibbitt, Tb0n3 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I rely on my backup camera on my car. 1 million %.

It sees things NONE of us can.

At my house. The neighbors have kids. They have dogs. They have cats.

And, well, without it. I risk being the in the news because I ran over and killed a kid. Which seems to be a monthly news story these days.

I rely on my cam. I LOVE my cam.

When cars came out. The US population was around 100 million.

Today, it's over 300 million. And kids are getting ran over.

Yep. I rely solely on my cam. Cuz NONE of us can see behind our trunks.

And those cams are small. Those of us that have one. Know how small. If a guy were to pull the same trailer. Any parts store sells a license plate cam. Those things are so small. Nobody or nothing will be smashing it up.

The only drawback I see. Is constantly being on. Because there's no way to wire to a backup switch.

And for all you that say if you can't back a truck without the use of a camera. You have no business driving a truck.

How many rookies are out there on a daily basis backing in to us? Or something.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. radioshark

Nov 19, 2012
    If you clip the camera to the door handle how will they unload/load the trailer?
    Most trailers are swing doors and when opened the door handle is against the side if the trailer.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The customer is of course. You know, the ones who actually pay to have freight moved.
    This is no different than going to Walmart to buy a can of coffee. If Walmart started making inconvenient rules I would go to Kroger. Same thing. The person paying gets to dictate what happens (within the law of course) and few will allow what you are asking. Especially when there are millions of drivers that can back. They will take their business somewhere else.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.