Is anyone else having any problems with Knight?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by am99gt, May 5, 2007.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I stayed 7 days longer than my friends did. I guess they had them figured out after the 1st week.

A friend of mine lasted 8 days with Knight, but they paid what they owed.

They tell you they burn two cents when you are on the per diem pay because of government rules.

The way it was explained to me is that non perdiem starts at .34 a mile and perdiem is .32 per mile on the low end of the scale with .11 paid as non taxable. It is 2 different ways to get paid. The pay statement I have seen from a friend of mine did not show a pay rate of .34 and then a deduction of .02. They where paid .21 and .11 on perdiem and then .34 when they got off perdiem because it was a switch to a different method of payment. Not a giveback of .02 per mile becuase they got off perdiem.

But I have also heard and suspect that the terminal managers are under pressure to get everyone on the perdiem and find ways to get rid of the ones who are not because of the obvious savings to the company. A company that to this days enfisized their lack of debt based to some extent on their frugal operating outlays and payroll expense controls.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    I recieved my final check yesterday from Knight. (after 4 weeks) I almost broke $500 bucks this time. Wheeew 2300 miles and a New York City 3 stopper which they were bragging about giving me $30 bucks for my troubles. They also gave me an extra $20 bucks for the haz-mat I pulled. . . . . It's party time!!

4. bigblue19

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Stop offs are payed at $15 per stop off so they paid what they owed.

Hazmat loads are paid a extra $20 so they paid what they owed.

2300 miles at .32 ($483+$253) = $736 + $50 - $250 = $536, so they paid what they owed.

Took you 4 weeks to get paid what you where owed? Sound like a long time and they probably drug their heals a little but I have had it take six months to get paid what I was owed by trucking outfits. So a month is not bad considering you where driving in a industry that has lax labor standards under the Motor Carrier Act of 1980.

5. CBTruck

CBTruck Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I worked with Knight for a few months after bein an O/O. Then I left Knight to be an O/O again, which was a big mistake with the way the economy is. But I loved working for Knight. I got paid when I was supposed to, I tracked my miles along with the sliding pay scale, plus the per diem pay, and I got paid every cent that I was supposed to get. It varies by terminal. The Carlisle terminal is great. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I heard stories about other terminals from other drivers that didn't sound too good. When I gave them my two weeks notice they tried like hell to get me to stay. They offered me every weekend off, a dedicated run and a raise. They even had it typed up and ready for me to sign so I couldn't get screwed out of the deal if I chose to stay. Not to mention they made sure I stayed running, LEGALLY. I have nothing but good things to say about Knight. I would recommend them to anyone.

LostSoulCA Thanks this.
  6. CBTruck

CBTruck Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh, I forgot to add that after two years of working with them, you get 10 free shares of Knight stock. You can check track Knight stock with the code KNX on the stock market, its actually doing pretty good. But the best thing about Knight is that they have ZERO DEBT. They don't owe anybody anything. Whereas these super large companies like Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt, etc. they owe untold millions to banks and other lenders.

7. Drop'n'Hook

Drop'n'Hook Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    Hey CBTruck when you worked there did you take the truck home, could any family member ride with you and did you do any Canada. Thanks and be safe.:biggrin_25525:

8. CBTruck

CBTruck Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA

Yeah, I took the truck and trailer home. During orientation they'll ask for the location of where you'll be taking the truck and trailer on your days off and they'll look it up on Google Maps. Atleast thats what they did for me at the Carlisle terminal. Only immediate family can ride if I remember correctly. They give you a list of who can and can't ride with you. Say if you have a girlfriend/fiance, they can't ride with you. You have to be married in that case. I didn't do any Canada, but I have talked to a few drivers who did. But it's rare. I'm actually strongly considering going back to them, they're a good company. You'll hear horror stories from a lot of people, but that's any company. If you get with a good terminal, you'll like it. I'm most likely goin back to drive for them, I can't survive bein an O/O in this economy.

9. bigblue19

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    It's hard to answer specific questions about Knight because they don't act uniformly when it comes to certain policy's. I know Seattle does not officially allow trucks to be taken home but they do allow some overnight parking at house depending on the load or account.

A friend of mine just spent her second year with Knight and actually came out ahead on the per diem pay plan by about $716 dollars versus the strait pay. But went back to the old pay because she does not think she will get the miles she got last year because of the Economy.

It seems Knight I am told will be cutting 200 tractors to keep the status que with the lax freight demand and Shipper fights over rates and fuel surcharges.

10. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    What is it about this company that makes ya'all like them so much? I've must have missed something when I worked there. That Carlise terminal is nice. The Atl terminal was a dump but they're building a brand new one there. I have a good idea where they are getting their cash to have such nice facilities.

11. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    well I run for Knight Ref. out of Id Falls and what I like is they let me run my own truck. They get me the load and then leave me alone. I plane the rout and where to fuel and no one says a thing. If I don't won't a load I just tell them and they get me something else. I don't turn down to many load which keeps them happy. If I'm rolling I'm getting the miles which keeps me happy. I run 4 weeks out and then 4-5 days off. No one says a thing about it. They get me home on time every time. May have to run a couple of short run to do that but the short runs need to be moved to and it gets me home on time. For the most part my pay stays right,accurate and prompt. They treat me with respect. Maybe it's the terminal I run out of but I have no complaints.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.