Is anyone NOT using Trucker Path App? What's wrong with you?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tscottme, Sep 17, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've been using Trucker Path since before I went back OTR. It's a moving map display of your locations but with truck stops, weigh stations, rest areas, low clearances, walmarts, truck dealerships, etc. It's got integrated traffic info from Google Maps. How would you like to know if the weigh station you are approaching in 15 miles is open or closed, and when was the last report of its status reported? The app is every bit as useful as my GPS. Yet almost every driver I talk to in real life looks at me like I have 3 noses when I tell them how often it helps me make important decisions about where to stop or which route has bad/good traffic movement.

You can click on any truck stop to find out how many parking spaces it has, if parking is full/some available/lots available plus find out what restaurants it has and read reviews about the truck stop and restaurants. It beats the old truck stop directory by a country mile. My GPS will show me which truck stops are along or near my route but it won't give any info about parking availability or show me any reviews. The app is free. I'm not connected to the app except as a customer. It's usually running every minute I'm driving. In a month it probably won't use but MAYBE 500 MB of data on my phone.
    I use it on my Android phone. I don't know if it's available to the hippies with iPhones. They probably have something similar that shows all of the sandal repair shops & poetry bars.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    The thing is the "lots of spots" or "some spots" is never accurate. I think the only good thing that is generally accurate is the scales being open or closed.

The reviews of all the truckstops is nothing but a bunch of immature nonsense.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I would use it but I don't have a smartphone. my phone is a flip phone Samsung Rugby II ..

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    App?
    I'm still searching for a 10 cent payphone for my check call

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was waiting for it to follow the demise of RoadNinja.

Enough people know where I'm at as it is...

tscottme and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Because of how much of my personal data they mine.

Because the app constantly pings locatuon, draining the battery in a hurry.

Because Truck Stop Pro (paid $5 over 6 years ago) has a quicker UI, has no adds, and closes when I tell it to close.

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I really do not care if a weigh station is open or closed, since I run legal weights.
    And not very many truck stops will be keeping track of how many spaces they still have open.

Also, I do not use apps on my phone while driving. It is dangerous to do so.
    Most of what you have said suggests that you do, on a regular basis.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I do not do apps. I understand what they are, even dabbled at a couple of promising games only to discover limitations where you have to pay real money to get better digital stuff to play the game better. (Funny how that works... whats not funny is how many millions hand over a few bucks per day just as bad as coin op games in my time; they were a form of legalized theft and at the same time a failure of the family to adapt to the then new home entertainment systems which would have been a one time purchase for gaming time at home. Not in the arcade)

Anyway...

The Trucker App and Low clearances is promising but... to me that's not something where you want to be "Roughly 13.2, sorta 14.0 or qoute NY's 12.6 as a hard clearance (NY has a habit of saying a foot lower which is a disservice to the trucking industry, I slammed the brakes at my first one near NYC which caused the convoy to scatter and trash talk my newbie butt. Get going kid, we fit why don't you. Follow us and LEARN.... BTW welcome to NYC you mutt. LOL.

Anyway... If I access a information database in any form, like a book, google earth or some DOT website etc I must understand that bridge or pipeline or whatever over the highway WILL clear my 13'5" truck and trailer. I will not accept anything less. And the antennas singing at 13.5 and lower is not acceptable to me. That tells me the source is sorta, roughly maybe and inaccurate. That too is not acceptable.

Finally I prefer to trip plan at 35 mph average. Having google earth tell me I can get a big truck from here to there in less time (They use Car times) it's a liability. I once asked dispatcher for the difference between two interstate routes from NC to Michigan (You can probably guess which ones they were near of Spartansburg at the time. And the difference I got back turned out to be a mile. Then the follow up question would have been average time to run it with a big truck through the trucking company computers. They knew what it took to get their trucks from A to B since they track the things for years.

Im not going to be accessing ATS's computers from outside the building via Google, that would be a outrageous breach of their network.

What I would like to see is a truck based miles, travel time that has been done by big trucks at fleet average. That way I can more quickly decide from the App what is possible when trip planning. Any time I run into a problem like rush hour traffic at stop and go speed, I run another trip plan using the remaining time left to appt. Doing the math on paper gets old over time. A app that can do that would be nice.

Is that asking too much?

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Is there another way to be connected to it?

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.