Is ConWay worth it?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by JBrakeJosh, Jun 13, 2014.

1. JBrakeJosh

JBrakeJosh Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2014
    SLC, Utah
    I'm starting my Trucking career and I wanted to get some helpful advice from some of you seasoned drivers out there. I have my CDL license but I'm a little rusty and need a refresher corse. ConWay is offering to fly me out to Missouri for a month of payed refreshment. They are saying I will be earning .26 cents per mile while doing my one month training and instructed drives. Then they told me that i would be bumped up to about .31 cents per mile doing OTR driving. Now im only 23 years old and at the moment the average yearly salary of $38,000 to $44,000 sounds a lot better than my security job that im working currently at $9.50 hr. Im interested in doing the one year OTR only to get in my experience so I can drive localy, with hopfully a better paying job. So my question to you is, would this be somthing you would do given my situation? And if not what would you suggest.

Thanks,
    JBrakeJosh

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Kay, you're about to get a lot of information all at once.

I'll tell you a few things:

It's somewhat unlikely you'll make good money out, in your first year. Looking back; it will be your best year if you make it. General consensus is, drivers will make between $22-$26,000'ish regardless of how hard you work. This is not the absolute, just the generality.

Conway is okay, and a good starter if you can get in, but they're no the end all be all...

Please be careful, and never be afraid to get out and look. I'm working on 3 years driving now, and screw up all the time. It's part of life, it's part of learning. The sooner you accept that, the better.

The truckers report is a valuable and useful tool, but take some of what you hear/read with a grain (or a pound or so) of salt.
    Someone on here has a signature that reads "A trucking company is 90% what you make of it, 10% a dispatcher screwing you." Never before have I read a statement that was more true.

4. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    When I started driving in 1995 I went with KLLM.
    They started me out at 23 cpm. Today if you start at that amount it would equal about 12 cpm then
    when you factor in inflation and the cost of living.
    If that's what they had offered me I would never have become a truck driver. In my opinion you can
    do better. Give Crete Carrier a call they pay better
    and have a good training program.

5. JBrakeJosh

Jun 13, 2014
    SLC, Utah
    Thanks Cab Wrecker and Air Breeze, Its a new element of my life that im going to be starting so thanks for the info.

6. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Its pretty obvious if you look on the road the new CEO is focusing on becoming more of a team operation with the huge influx of o/o pulling CFI trailers this year.

Personally if I were you I would head to a tanker division. You'll make more your first couple years.

I kinda wished I took a Schneider 14/7 tanker gig instead of Conway.

It has its perks though.

Type in a zip code there is a freight yard nearby albeit... Just drop trl and go bobtail to whatever the heck you want to do pretty much anywhere anytime.

Excellent perk on the company dime.
    Just stay within 60 miles and they don't care...

Chinatown and double yellow Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good info there. Schneider Bulk has refresher and good paychecks. Later you would be qualified for a good local job with some fuel hauler or chemical company. If you like that idea, call a recruiter, the website may not be up to date. Another driver on here was told Schneider Bulk wouldn't hire him out of Nashville, but when he called the recruiter they hired him.

8. JBrakeJosh

Jun 13, 2014
    SLC, Utah
    Yea I've looked at Schneider before, It looks like a great company. I'm just in need of a refresher, almost 5 months after completing Trucking School you start to forget some of the important aspects of trucking. Thanks for all the help this is really helping me out.

9. ryan5464

ryan5464 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Conway, AR
    I hope you dont mean that you have only not been driving for 5 months. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
    paul_4lp Thanks this.
  10. ryan5464

ryan5464 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Conway, AR
    Hey if you want to subject yourself to another 7 grand and a year of minimum wage go ahead. I was trying to be helpful by saying that you don't need a refresher. Just find a company and go do your thing. No point in losing money. Next time maybe remember to keep some vagisil and midol on hand. You know how cranky you get once a month without it.

11. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Think he meant ... Have you been out of school for 5 months ?

Then yes you will most Likley be required to a refresher ... If your choose Conway Truckload they will probably just have you go to "boot camp " at crowder ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.