Is every load the same Cost Per Mile? Lumpers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by robhart, Apr 22, 2017.

1. robhart

robhart Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Questions on my mind as I roll into my new trucking job:

1) Does the boss or a broker charge the same per mile no matter what the load for a dry van?

2) How does my company chose whether or not to use lumpers or have me unload? I'm guessing having lumpers allows me to get back on the road faster for me to get paid, and to generate revenue for the trucking company

3) How much do lumpers get paid?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    1. No
    2. Most Companies will use Lumpers 99.9% of the time. They don't want you getting hurt and or burning your '70' to unload.

I have never 'had' to unload because the company did not pay for the Lumpers.
    Some companies you may have to a lot.
    And 'faster'... That's debatable.

3. No idea.. Minimum Wage.?
    The Lumper Rates are pretty high but the actual Lumper doesn't see most of it.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Question 1 if you're talking about the drivers per mile pay most companies receive so much per mile no matter the load you would need to see what their pay pkg is every companies is different.Don't count on getting on the road faster just because lumpers unload you that's when you sit the longest.It could be 2 hrs or better when they start to even touch your trailer and another few hrs before they're finally done.You better hope you don't get too many lumper loads.

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Lumpers can be excruciatingly slow. Think hours in the dock. I hated grocery warehouses. You can log off duty, but your 14 hour clock is still ticking if you had to drive to get there. That's why you see so many trucks on e-logs parked outside the gate at grocery warehouses.

The price the customer pays on the same shipment going to the same location can vary widely. Let's say the customer has a 2000 mile load on Thursday morning he needs delivered first thing Monday morning. He calls his broker and the load is offered at a cheap rate.

No takers.

By Thursday afternoon the broker ups the rate. Still no takers.

Friday morning the customer calls the broker, "When is this load going to ship!!??"

The broker negotiates a higher rate and posts it. The broker gets a few calls, but maybe the load is going to an area that is notorious for cheap outbound freight.

By Friday at noon the customer and broker are getting desperate. It's agreed to keep raising the rate until someone takes it, maybe even bite the bullet and hire a team.

Finally a patient trucker or trucking company makes a counteroffer at 2:00 pm for three times the original price. The customer accepts.

Everything is negotiable.

6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Some warehouses you have no choice but to use lumpers. They won't let drivers on the dock so it's pay for lumpers or leave.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    NO, everything is negotiated.

Company does not "charge" and it is not by the mile per say. They might pay you by the mile because it is cheaper and easier to cheat you out of your time and work, but the "rate per mile" usually an internal factor to the trucking company used to calculate costs and profit margin.

They don't. Shipper/Consignee choses whether to use lumpers.

They don't care how fast you "get back on the road." They certainly don't care if you get paid.

Lumper loads are profitable for them, the trucking company, not you, that is why they are done.

Usually not much more then they got paid when the picked the produce in the field.

You got to look at trucking from a different perspective then where your coming from to understand what is going on.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.